Munstead Wood, Tradescant, Wm S. 2000?

hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)May 16, 2011

Hello all,

I'm looking for a very dark red sprawly or climbing rose for a partially shaded corner in my hot inland Southern California garden. I don't spray. I love the Austin dark reds. Are there any others that look similar that I should consider? I don't need a whole bunch of flowers in this spot, which will be behind Bouquet Parfait in front of some tall shrubs. I am willing to look at modern as well as English or OGRs. Will any of these grow here?

Renee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffcat

If you are looking for something "sprawling", then WS2000 definitely fits the bill. It grows in an awkward manner and it's difficult to get his growth in a "mannerly" habit. WS2000 tends to want to throw out a lot of lateral canes that are long as it's vigor increased then shoots up vertical canes from those horizontals...think of training a climber on the ground. Now it doesn't do this all the time. You will gets some upright ones that might even climb a bit in your area. I had an upright one that got up to 4.5ft tall once. I had WS2000 in a less than desirable area but he still did well. It will grow wider than tall at around 3-4'x4-5'. I'm actually ordering Munstead Wood this year, but from what I can tell, Munstead Wood has a darker bloom more along the color lines of The Prince and has a more compact growth habit with more manners. Tradescant seems like it has similar coloring to WS2000 except maybe slightly darker and grows in a larger manner and sometimes as a climber.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 9:51AM
rosefolly

WS 2000 sprawls. Munstead Wood is more compact and shrub-like. IMO MW is one of Austin's finer roses.

Rosefolly

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 12:32PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

That's good to hear, because Munstead Wood is my favorite of all. I will try it. Thank you.
Renee

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 3:24PM
karenforroses(z5 NorthernMI)

I agree with all of you - same experience. Love both MW & WS - amazing flower form, color and fragrance. I'm usually not a red rose person, but I just love these two guys.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
ID great great grandma's rose
Hello! I was advised to ask for help on this page when...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
I'm back!
Couldn't get confirmed onto this new system so created...
cemeteryroseanita
Help me identify this lost old rose
I discovered this beautiful rose growing in the yard...
Lucija Buonarotti
Queen of Sweden song
With apologies to Cab Calloway -- "I had a dream...
Sylvia Weiser Wendel
Has anyone grown Emmanuella de Mouchy?
Hello, fellow OGR lovers! Has anyone out there grown...
PortlandMysteryRose
Sponsored Products
AHB Santa Maria Home Bar - Navajo - 600016NAV-S
Hayneedle
Single Watch Winder
$325.00 | FRONTGATE
Delilah Rectangle Wall Mirror
$299.99 | zulily
Gotham Cheese Board
$125.00 | Horchow
Traditional Crystal Swarovski Strass Crystal Polished Chrome One-Light Sconce
$250.00 | Bellacor