Problems with Gallicas

TNY78(7a-East TN)May 14, 2011

I have recently decided to broaden my rose garden to include some antique roses. Up until now, I've mainly had hybrid musks, rugosas, and floribundas. I've added about 15 OGRs this spring, and all seem to be doing well except my 2 gallicas (Tuscany Superb & Rosa Mundi). Both were purchased from Heirloom Roses and arrived looking very healthy as bands. The Tuscany Superb is in the ground and it seems to not be growing and whenever new leaves appear they dry out and fall of (they do not turn yellow first, just wilt and dry out). The Rosa Mundi is still in the one gallon pot I transfered it to, but seems to have white fuzz on its buds and leaves...see picture below (powdery mildew??) Any suggestions on what I can do to help them? What kinds of spray (if any) do you suggest for gallicas? Thanks for any help!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melissa_thefarm(NItaly)

Your 'Rosa Mundi' does look like it has mildew; this variety, like its sport parent 'Officinalis' is susceptible to this fungal disease. It's unsightly, but not necessarily a grave problem. Both my plants of these varieties currently have mildew, probably because of dry soil but some humidity in the air. They'll get over it without anything terrible happening. It your plant is growing and setting buds I wouldn't worry about the mildew. I don't have any idea what the problem might be with 'Tuscany Superb'.
Nice varieties, by the way. I love Gallicas.
Melissa

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 4:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
professorroush(6A)

Definitely powdery mildew. On susceptible roses, I use Immunox (myclobutanil), which is labeled for mildew.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Rain!
For those of us in drought-stricken areas of California,...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Aphids have found my roses...
I guess you never find just one aphid... I just spent...
vmr423
Snow pictures
I'm not sure how many inches we got last night but...
erasmus_gw
Tipsy Imperial Concubine bush
Does anyone have any snaps of the bush? I have googled...
adamharbeck
Help with ID of old white rose?
This rose belongs to a friend, and I'm hoping for a...
vmr423
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™