Just received Beales' Classic Roses book

nikthegreek(9b/10a E of Athens)May 5, 2014

Just received it in the mail, shipped all the way from NY. Used in mint condition. Not cheap but well worth it I think. Not easy to find it over here. This is 1997 edition hardbound, are there any newer editions out there? Some 'Mom' in Canada had gifted this to somebody in 2000, judging from the inscription on the inside cover.

I'm at work and can't really peruse it as much as I would like. Can't wait till I go home in the evening.
Nik

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

I picked up a copy of the 1992 Roses for a $1 at a rummage sale. I wonder how different, if at all, it is from the Twentieth Century Roses and Classic Roses that I also bought used from Amazon.

I picked up a duplicate copy of Visions of Roses (thought it might be but for $1 did not care) anyone local interested?

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 12:05PM
blackgavotte(5aNS)

enjoy your book Nik, I wanted it in the worst way but the price always held me back, now I'm glad I didn't waste my money.. here's why.. I spent literally years enjoying my Botanica rose book, only to find that now that I live in the Maritimes of Canada, there are so many roses that won't do well here, its heartbreaking... so I ended up finding a copy of Bob Osborne's book, Hardy Roses, which is not just wonderfully informative on all areas of rose care, but names the best varieties for this windy, salty, low-sun area of the planet. Now I have to adjust my love of roses to include very different varieties.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 2:58PM
jacqueline9CA

Classic Roses is a great book. The only caveat I would add is that you should ignore anything it says about the size a particular rose is going to grow to, and also their opinions about tea & china roses - this book assumes that every rose is grown in their climate.

Jackie

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 3:26PM
nikthegreek(9b/10a E of Athens)

Thanks all. Yes Jackie I'm aware of the size and other differences based on climate. Beales (the nursery also which I often patronise) seems much better on this respect compared to others I could mention.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 4:22PM
organic_tosca(9/Sunset 14)

That's a wonderful book! I spent many, MANY happy hours with our local library's copy while waiting to get into a being-worked-on apartment after a major move. That book saved my sanity, as well as being full of information! I'm sure you will dive into it after you get home and have a glorious time!

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 5:28PM
Mendocino_Rose(z8 N CA.)

I bought that book a long time ago now. You made me feel like taking it out to read again.

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
Roses good for bees
Hi friends, I'm trying to add more plants that provide...
mas_loves_roses1
Are There Any Roses You Regret Buying?
I've already discarded many dozens so I'd better not...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Peach Silk
Seem to recall a thread about Peach Silk recently....
alameda/zone 8
about the David Austin bagged root roses out there now
Over on the rose forum there was a report of Austin...
stillanntn6b
Tell me about the Noisette rose La Biche 1832
I obtained a beautiful 5 gal plant of the old Noisette...
fogrose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™