Erfurt

sammy zone 7 TulsaMay 6, 2011

Do you grow Erfurt? I used to have it on my hillside, but it became so tangled in poison ivy that we tore it out. Now I have a new one, and would like to know what your experience is with size and shape.

HMF has some pictures, and it looks like it is standing with support. I know mine was free standing, and was a little larger than what I saw.

It is delicate and beautiful, and I hope to plant it today.

Sammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_w_ny(Zone 5a)

It's a rose I'm interested in.

One of the difficulties in choosing a rose is what is the shape of the bush. One place to look is on Vintage's site where they show sillouettes sp? of a rose bush's shape.

Another part of that same problem is to find a picture of the rose in bloom not just one of the flower. How many times have you seen a picture of the most beautiful rose only to find it nof normally that way.

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 7:53AM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

Thanks Jim. I tried Vintage and they don't have it, so I looked at ATE where I bought it, but they only said 5-6 feet. I will just go with it -- knowing I can move it if I need to. I thought I would at least share my older picture since I brought up the subject.

I am anxious to plant my new one in a more visible location.

Sammy

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 9:33PM
rjlinva

This rose has been struggling for me. It seems more susceptible to blackspot than most of my other roses. I have given it plenty of alpaca manure this year, and I am hoping that will help it grow. I believe that it was starved, and because of that, weakened. The blackspot experts here are probably laughing at my logic right now, but, I will try this experiment.

Robert

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 5:11AM
elks(US5 Can6)

I have been growing it in the Great Lakes area for about 14 years. It is a favourite of mine. This year, I didn't have to prune it back to the ground and have some 4' canes. It grows to about 5.5' tall, but has greater girth, to maybe 10'. It blooms and reblooms. I typically get 3 flushes. It has lovely, almost single, scented blooms, rather like Escapade by which it is planted. Highly recommended.

Steve

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 11:24AM
jim_w_ny(Zone 5a)

elks

Glad to read of your endorsement for Erfurt. It doesn't take much encouregment for me to go for a Kordes rose. My favorites. Then I see it was introduced in 1939 another sign of a good rose if it lasted that long....and Pickering carries it, another sign. They are the best.

Oh yes what does that % sign on your sign in mean? Along cith the 2C. Probably a zone thing for Centigrade?

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 6:31AM
barbarag_happy

Robert if you're not having any luck with Erfurt up there I sure won't down in coastal Tidewater down by NC.

I dunno what hmf says, but I suspect this rose really likes a nice winter dormancy period and doesn't much care for a long hot humid growing season.

I'm making do with Escapade but would really love to have Erfurt!

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 3:40PM
elks(US5 Can6)

I even think I bought Erfurt from Pickering.

The %2 is some artifact that happens because my computer has a Japanese language program on it. Don't understand why it's there or what to do about it. I'm glad you mentioned it though because I thought it was only seen on this computer. Hmm... Guess I'll have to sort it out now.

Steve

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 7:58AM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

Steve, why don't you check your settings, and see if you have a default for "plain text"? I just looked for it, and cannot find it, but I do think I have been told in the past that the plain text sends the message so it can be read by most computers. (Maybe this is just in email.)
Sammy

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 8:21AM
More Discussions
Felicite et Perpetue in a tree?
Does anyone near zone 7 have Felicite et Perpetue growing...
dindrane
Any ID ideas on this old Sonoma Mission rose?
This rose is a low bush (to 80 cm) growing under a...
dkelch
No Rugosa/Alba/Bourbon/Cent/HPs Ever in SoCal?
Hi all, As the subject line shows, I'm as usual craving...
Sylvia Weiser Wendel
What roses are you adding in 2015?
I have an order coming from Greenmantle Nursery soon...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Ladybug
Just a little orange ladybug combing my SdlM. The best...
Adam Harbeck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™