Ethel Yount's White

nastarana(5a)May 5, 2014

Rose Petals Nursery has an interesting collection of found roses. Among them is Ethel Yount's White, identified by Malcome Manners as an alba. It is not listed on HMF.

Has anyone here grown Ethel Yount's White or know anything about it.

For whatever reason, HMF is not letting me post links.

They also list both Benny Lopez and Pulich Children, both of those not currently available, but maybe in years to come those will be offered also.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

It's very probable that they obtained Benny Lopez and Pulich Children from the Sacramento City Cemetery. They certainly saw those roses there. But they wouldn't have them ready to sell yet. Not enough time.

The Cemetery has given a number of rare cultivars to Dr. Manners, and I expect you folks on the East Coast will have an opportunity to get them before too long.

Jeri

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 5:55PM
fogrose(zone 10/sunset 17)

Anita Clevenger from the Sacramento Cemetery posted on the rose forum recently about bringing Benny Lopez to Dr. Manners. Glad she also brought Pulich Children. Both are wonderful roses.

Diane

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 9:03PM
nastarana(5a)

That is good news indeed that we also might get a crack at growing some of the wondrous CA found roses.

I take it the "Ethel Yount's White" was not found on the West Coast?

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 12:02AM
malcolm_manners

"Ethel Yount's White" was my grandmother's rose. It grew on her dairy farm in Clarion County, Pennsylvania, at least by the early 1930s. It is very similar to 'Semiplena', and may actually be that rose, except that in more than 20 years of growing them here in Lakeland, 'Semiplena' flowered most years, whereas we have never had a single flower on Ethel Yount's White. On the other hand, we've tried to distribute it far and wide to areas that get more winter chill, and it flowers well in climates that get a bit more winter than we.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Ethel in NYC

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 6:56AM
fogrose(zone 10/sunset 17)

That's a beautiful rose Malcolm. I plan to order it. I'm currently growing some other Albas like Sappho, Maxima, Blush Hip and Felicite Parmentier so hopefully my winter chill will be enough for it.

Diane

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 7:29AM
nastarana(5a)

Ethel does look a lot like Semiplena in your pictures, Mr. Manners..

Maybe a sport or a seedling? I just ordered it. I need a new semiplena, the one I have now being not likely to recover from wabbit damage, so maybe I can grow them together.,

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
Old estate climber needs ID
This is a climbing rose that clambers to 15 feet over...
dkelch
Tipsy Imperial Concubine bush
Does anyone have any snaps of the bush? I have googled...
adamharbeck
Finished At Last!
Just finished planting the last three roses today which...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
Please help me identify this rose?
This rose blooms only once a year in the spring. My...
linjon zone 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™