Smaller reblooming shrub roses, thornless if possible

kristimamaMay 1, 2011

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your expertise as I plan out my limited planting areas with more old roses!

I have a fairly narrow foundation planting bed about 2.5-3' deep from foundation to the edge of the lawn. And the lawn itself is rather a narrow strip, so my DH doesn't want enormous bushy overflowing roses everywhere. So I'm thinking maybe I could find a couple smaller shrubs (that don't extend from the house more than 2-3 feet) in any color, yellows, pinks, whites.

I also do prefer them thornless as I do have little ones that play in this area.

Thanks!

-kmama

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

I don't know about thornless -- I never pay attention to that -- but for size and consistent re-bloom, I'd recommend the true Polyanthas.

Jeri

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 1:02PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

'Gruss an Aachen' and 'Pink Gruss an Aachen', often sold as 'Irene Watts', are excellent small roses. They have a few thorns, but not many.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 2:00PM
bellegallica_zone9(9)

The miniature 'Cinderella' is completely thornless. 'Marie Pavie' has pretty much thornless stems, but does have those tiny back of the leaf prickles.

Don't underestimate the intelligence of children. They quickly learn which plants it's best not to fall into. My brother and I practically grew up on our grandparents' dairy farm negotiating barbed-wire fences and blackberry brambles.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 3:06PM
bellegallica_zone9(9)

Oops. Forgot to mention. They belong to the polys that Jeri recommends, but check out the Cecile Brunner clan (Mlle Cecile Brunner, White Cecile Brunner, and Rita Sammons.) Those are smallish and low on thorns.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 3:29PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Some years ago, I consulted with a local botanical garden on a selection of small roses for a Children's Garden.

I asked them whether thornlessness was a priority.

They said, no. It was not.
They felt, in fact, that it was best children learn early that some plants have thorns or prickles.

I was reminded of my younger brother, who learned the hard way that you should not insert toy knives into electrical outlets.

Jeri

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 3:31PM
clanross(7b Virginia)

I have over a dozen Marie Pavie. It is smallish and nearly thornless, if not thornless. It smells wonderful and blooms all the time, hardly gets disease. It's really easy to root cuttings, too. It does tend to hang on to it's flowers even after they fade, but deadheading is not absolutely necessary as it keeps on blooming.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 11:42PM
zack_lau

Austin's Pretty Jessica is a nice little bush with plenty of blooms.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 2:32PM
sherryocala

Specific polyanthas: Borderer, Lauren, Anda and White Pet.

Sweet Chariot is a big miniature for me. I grow it in a pot.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
I'm addicted to white roses , what is your addiction?
And I can't seem to stop wanting those I find ! I love...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Are There Any Roses You Regret Buying?
I've already discarded many dozens so I'd better not...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Please help me identify this rose?
This rose blooms only once a year in the spring. My...
linjon zone 5
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
Peach Silk
Seem to recall a thread about Peach Silk recently....
alameda/zone 8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™