My DA 'Tradescant' has issues

blocke19May 14, 2011

I have a second year own root Tradescant that has been literally covered in buds, which I have been eagerly awaiting opening. Well this weekend they finally started opening and instead of the full rosette flower, each flower has only 8-10 petals. It was a cool-ish wet spring but I'm really disapointed! The flower color is right though. Any ideas apart from the weather what may be up? Is this normal? The bush looks very healthy, it sailed through winter with hardly any die back and otherwise has no issues. Like I said it is own root, bought from Chamblees. Thanks for your time! I'm still kind of new to rose gardening but getting more addicted each year :)

Belinda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

It may be weather-related. I'd wait until the second flush, when the weather is hopefully warmer, to see if this is the case. It's amazing how much a rose can vary in its petal count due to the weather or other causes.

Ingrid

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 3:37PM
buford(7 NE GA)

I think the term is bullheads, I get it on Tradescant and some other roses. We've had some cool weather in spring and I have bullheads on a few roses. Tradescant, the Prince and some others. I'd wait and see the next flush to see if that is ok. It usually only affects the first flush.

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 6:57PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Can you post a picture? 8-10 petals is just not right.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
Has anyone grown Emmanuella de Mouchy?
Hello, fellow OGR lovers! Has anyone out there grown...
PortlandMysteryRose
Dig a way of antique roses
I am disassembling my antique rose garden in Minnesota....
geodave
Unexpected RAIN!
About once a week for the past month our local weather...
jacqueline9CA
Poorbutroserich update
Hi. It's me, Susan, just checking in. Due to forum...
roserich
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™