mixing up a potting mix

sunnysideuphill(5)May 12, 2011

I have a dozen bands from Rogue Valley, all looking great, most with buds, and plan to pot them into gallons this weekend. I usually get whatever Agway is selling as potting mix, stir in some additional compost and call it a day.

But -

I ran into a friend who is an organic gardener, who recommended something called Black Earth, I think it's Canadian product since the label is in French and English, as a very rich base for a potting mix. I bought two 40 lb bags of it this AM, and it is super dense - not in a bad way, but as if you were crumbling freshly baked chocolate devils food cake. I plan to lighten it with perlite. Any suggestions on ratio, or what the finished mix should feel like? Should I add the compost as usual?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buford(7 NE GA)

sunny, is it compressed? We did veggies in containers this year and bought something called ProMox, which was in compressed blocks. The instructions aid to wet it before putting in containers. It is also like cake. But this mix had some vermiculite in it already, but not too much. I'd add about 1/4 pearlite to lighten it up and help with drainage. We also added some black kow, which is composted manure, about 1/8th. I'm also planning on topping the pots off with compost as a mulch once the pots warm up.

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 10:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnysideuphill(5)

Nope,not compressed, but very heavy stuff, already crumbly texture. I've got some very well composted chicken litter, will add a bit of that with the pearlite.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
David Austin Backlash... Well post your FAV Austin Pic here.
There seems to be some recent backlash on austin roses,...
silverkelt
Tess of the d'Ubervilles
I have bragged on Tess on several posts but never could...
alameda/zone 8
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
Help with ID of old white rose?
This rose belongs to a friend, and I'm hoping for a...
vmr423
Please help me identify this rose?
This rose blooms only once a year in the spring. My...
linjon zone 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™