Adeniums on stilts

karyn1(7a)February 13, 2013

I just saw the coolest adeniums posted on Facebook. I have no idea how or if it's even possible to post the pic here but it was posted by a company called www.siamadenium.com. Not sure who that is or why I could see it on FB but I guess if you have a page and go to their page you'll see it. They're mature adeniums with large caudexes but instead of part of the caudex being buried only some of the lower portions of the thicker roots are under the soil making it look like the caudex is supported on stilts. Very cool. I'd love to be able to grow one like that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcharles_gw(8a.)

I have something similar Karyn and they are very interesting. The way they use bamboo stakes to support and place the roots where they want them.
I know the adeniumsindia nursery do alot of manipulation if you want to call it that. They lift the plants and hang them in a shady spot for up to a month.
The roots them become quite maliable and can place where they like. They cut off all of the fine/small feeder roots and leave the haddock roots only.
I am guessing that they must be using most Thai Soco/Arabicums or Arabicums for this unless they have the true Socotranums there.
I had communicated with the fella at adeniumsindia to see about there giant Obesum's and Arabicums. He let me know the cost of ones with a 12"-18" diameter caudex. Not bad considering, but could not do on my own.
Rick

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 9:06AM
54641210d

I think you're talking about these.

VERY cool. I hope to play around with my adeniums when I receive and grow them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Adenium on

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 12:39AM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Thanks for the link to the pics. They look like they are about to stomp off down the nursery in search of something....or somebody! Dead creepy, lol!
Gill from the Uk.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 7:02AM
karyn1(7a)

Thanks for linking the photo. That's them. I just thought they were so cool looking. I'd love to figure out how it's done. I might try Rick's suggestion using bamboo supports to train them but I wonder when you start? Would you start with a young plant or use one with an already well developed caudex?

Gill they do look a bit creepy when you put it that way. lol

This post was edited by karyn1 on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 9:09

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 9:07AM
54641210d

If you look closely, you can see that they're supported by a few sticks. Look at this picture; it looks like siam attached them to a sort of ladder for support.

Here is a link that might be useful: Additional Photos

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 2:47PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Well I've been on that Siamadenium site for a while now as there's some really good reading on it. They give lots of detailed info on how to create the various styles they sell.

I am sure some of the tips will be of use to those of you who are able to grow their plants strongly and quickly and in greater quantities than I do. On saying that, I have just received some seeds today (thank you Rick) and hope to try my hand at something different than just letting them do their own thing.
Gill from the UK.

Here is a link that might be useful: check out the 'fun with forms' articles

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 4:45PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Karyn, I don't use Facebook any more but I clicked on their Facebook icon on a page I was reading and up came the came page I've linked below. The adenium on stilts is therethat you mentioned along with some more absolutely fantastic pics of their plants. Enjoy!
Gill from the UK.

Here is a link that might be useful: check this out

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 5:59PM
kodom087 z9a

These are kind of interesting. I might have to experiment with a couple of my seedlings. The tall lanky ones look like they raise the frame every so often to expose more of the root to get it to looked stretched like that. Some of them also look grafted, perhaps. The one's on "stilts" remind me of a lot of trees on river banks and around the lake at Toledo Bend & Sam Rayburn here in Texas.

Kirk

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 3:02PM
ltran54(9)

They are so cool looking old and young adenium.

Learn new thing see new thing each day.

Siamadenium.com site has so good info to read.

Marie

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
Confused about Species and Subspecies
After reading some info on this site, I am more confused...
bilabongbong Z11b
Seeds and recommending other plants
Hi, I would love to grow a Desert Rose from seed. I...
dourbest
Unable to Reply
For some reason I am unable to reply to, and to make...
bilabongbong Z11b
Good Article - wanted to share
This is a good read and interesting article for Adeniumaholics. http://labellegardenclub.org/docs/DesertRoseCulture.pdf Rick...
rcharles_gw
Need help with my Adenium
Getting ready for Spring and thought I would prune...
rduba86442
Sponsored Products
Stilt Table Lamp by Blu Dot
$299.00 | Lumens
Modern Tall Tripod Table Lamps Home Lighting
ParrotUncle
Stilt TV Sideboard - Warm Walnut - STILT TV SIDEBOARD
$598.00 | Hayneedle
RenWil Stilt Accent Table
Beyond Stores
Milton Linen Lounge
| Dot & Bo