Root pruning

whip1 Zone 5 NE OhioFebruary 9, 2014

I have a DR that I planned on root pruning this spring before it came out of dormancy. The problem is it's started to leaf out. Will root pruning now hurt the plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcharles_gw

Whip1,
I am not sure if it was Mike that did some root pruning and replanted (seedlings) over a disc or something.
Is this a seedling or if not what size plant?
Are you wanting to prune to reduce pot size, Bonsai?

There are many that have done this, but I do not want to give advice, as I have no experience with this.
Chris (Durham Botanicals) I believe is very well versed on this and Bonsai Adeniums. Might be worth sending a note to him, he is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Rick

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 7:47PM
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio

The plant is a few years old, and about 8 inches tall. It hasn't been repoted in 3 years and i like to trim the large woody roots when I repot to make room for the finer feeder roots. I try to trim when the plants are dormant, and wasn't sure how it would react while actively growing.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 1:11PM
Drontti

I "pruned" the roots of my seedlings (some 1 year old and others 1/2 year old) about a month ago when I repotted them... I removed the whole taproot so they actually lost almost all their roots. The largest one was only about 4 inches or so. They had had leaves all winter and were growing.
The root pruning was a bit of shock to them but they recovered. At first their caudex got wrinkly and soft.. The caudexes also lost a lot of their size. Some of seedlings also started to drop older leaves.
Now about month later the caudexes have recovered to their former size and the plants are starting to grow again.. which I'm very glad of :) So for me it worked but my plants are smaller and younger than yours.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 11:39AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Whip - it's better to do serious work, like hard pruning, root pruning and repotting, in the month prior to the plant's most robust growth .... and if you plan on root-pruning and hard pruning the top in the same growth cycle, you should stagger the operations so the plant is recovered from one before you do the other. I prefer to work on roots BEFORE I do any pruning of the top.

Al

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Unable to log in.
I am very dissapointed that I am not able to log in...
3300koi
Newbie in Adenium plants
These are my Adeniums. I bought some seeds somewhere...
SimonaB
True Socotranum Seedlings
These are the True Socotranum seedlings that I have...
rcharles_gw
Rinoa Chen seeds
Hello, good afternoon! Has anyone bought seeds of Rinoa...
Relve
2nd picture of yellow DR
Here is another picture.
kitnor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™