New Buds on my Hard Pruned DR

MRI_Guy(5a)March 25, 2013

I noticed these buds have plumped up rather quickly on my hard-pruned DR, so I'll now call the previous surgery a success! If you recall, I lopped off about 2' of each of 2 branches on January 18th and it leafed out and grew branches very quickly, and now I'm being rewarded with flowers! Because I've never seen an open bloom on this plant, I'm not sure that they'll be anything more than "pinks", but it's still nice to see new blooms inside when there is still a foot of snow outside!

Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltran54(9)

Wow....so early in the season? Good for you.
I am happy for you. Please keep the pictures coming.
Marie

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 11:34AM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Congrats on those buds and I hope to see them open very soon.

I have the plants, and the foot (several feet in places actually!) of snow....but still no buds, lol!
Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:42PM
rcharles_gw

That is wonderful to see, Scott. I would not care if they where pink. Maybe if I had dozens and they where all the same color.
Rick

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 8:17PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

I agree with Rick...I would not care what color it was either. Can't wait to see your plant bloom. Very nice healthy looking plants. I did read your anguish about cutting your plant back so far. Nice job...

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 8:46PM
MRI_Guy(5a)

Getting ready to open!

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 1:46PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Boy oh boy! Those look delicious, and on dear 'ole stumpy too! Please post another pic for us when they open, it certainly looks as if it's not just a plain old pink to me.
Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 1:58PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

I could not wait to scroll down, I was sure I was going to see an open bloom. I'm getting excited for you. I can't wait to see the first bloom on this plant. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 8:44AM
rcharles_gw

Scott, those are progressing so well. Hope it surprises you with something unique. Will not matter.
With my double last year, I was so anxious for it to open and a very knowledgeable lady from OZ told me that the doubles/triples can be slower to open.
Cannot wait to see you blooms and what a healthy foliage on this specimen.
Rick

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:11PM
MRI_Guy(5a)

Thanks everyone - I'm very anxious to see the flowers as I have never seen one open on this plant. It used to bud all the time, but because I used to keep it outside in the shade (didn't know what a Desert Rose was at that time), they always fell off before maturing - not this time! I'll keep you posted...

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:24PM
MRI_Guy(5a)

Well, the flowers were worth waiting for! 2 of them opened yesterday with 2 more set to open soon.
And I also included a photo of new buds on my grafted DR from Adenium Rose Co., I have no idea what
those will look like but I'm watching their development as well...

Here are the first 2 blooms

Two more to open soon

And here are new buds on my grafted DR

Scott

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:26AM
kodom087 z9a

Congrats! They look great. Can't wait to see pics of your grafted ones opened up as well.

Kirk

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:59AM
fakechuchi(7)

Prunning, grafting, hand-pollination---I want to do them all now now NOW!

Patience, praying mantis. Sigh

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 3:16PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

Scott, the blooms on your adenium are gorgeous. How nice that they've finally opened. Is there any fragrance at all?

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 4:06PM
MRI_Guy(5a)

Ladylotus - this may sound crazy, but the area around the blooms, but not the blooms themselves, smells of fresh cucumber! I first noticed the very herbal aroma when I bent in close to the plant to examine the flower buds before they opened, and it is such a fresh vegetable smell, akin to cutting up a fresh cucumber or green pepper - very pleasant!

Scott

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 4:21PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Hi Scott, I'm so pleased that your DR has done you proud with those flowers, they are super! I hope you are not disappointed in them being pink as I know a lot of folks do a)not like the colour pink or b) hate them being pink as it's the dominant colour in DR's. I think they look good. You also seem pleased with them, so at the end of the day, that's all that matters isn't it? Thanks for showing us and we look forward to seeing the grafted one real soon.
I just need a flower of any kind :(
Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 4:24PM
MRI_Guy(5a)

Gill - this is a jointly owned plant as I see it; yours and mine. I received my very first responses and directions from you on the proper pruning of it when I was a newbie and afraid to do it - It turned out great and I love our pink blooms!

Thanks - Scott

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 6:04PM
ltran54(9)

MRI, your blooms are beautiful....good work on hard pruned.
Marie

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 9:28PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Haha, nice one Scott!! You are most welcome, I am no expert believe me, just bits that I have picked up from my reading on the web and on our forum here whilst still trying to learn more about these fascinating plants.
Just pleased (read that as 'RELIEVED') it worked! My remaining plants are really coming along good now, as are the new seedlings. I'll post a thread this week as I have some days off work.
Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 5:10PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

That is interesting that your plant smells like cucumbers. I would have thought perhaps the flowers would have a light fragrance. I had some flowers last summer that had a beautiful, light floral scent.

Enjoy your blooms.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 8:30PM
MRI_Guy(5a)

Here's an updated picture; all 4 buds are opened and the plant is putting out new growth. It must know that it's Spring!

Scott

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:18AM
ltran54(9)

Scott, that is beautiful.
Marie

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 11:39AM
kodom087 z9a

Looking great!

Kirk

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 2:01PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

W-w-w-wow! I like that one!
Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
Yellow DR
I know this is not an unusual one but it has brighten...
kitnor
I have a question for the Administrators of Houzz/Garden Web
How is it that we Search within a particular thread...
rcharles_gw
A hearty hello to everyone!
Hello everyone and welcome to all the new comers in...
kodom087 z9a
ordered true Adenium socotranum
I ordered a true Adenium socotranum seedling from arid...
kuroc
February Update
Hey everyone, I was away for a while and clearly here...
Andrew
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™