Need help with fetilizer, please

grantr(5)March 28, 2013

I have searched the adenium forums, but can't seem to get a definite answer on what fertilizer to use. Several people have recommended Osmocote, but there are two types. One is 19-6-12 and the other is 14-14-14.

I have also seen others who say to use a 20-20-20. I found a water soluble brand called "Jack's Classic," and bought that as well.

Someone at the store also recommended Miracle Grow "Rose Plant Food," so I have that as well. It's also water soluble and is an 18-24-16.

I have done well, with both of my plants. Both are adenium obssesum, I believe. I've had them for two years, and one of them bloomed indoors last year. I just don't know how to fertilize them, or any houseplants.

Can I use a liquid fertilizer mixed in with the water each time I water them, in addition to the slow release granules? Which one(s) and how often? Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kodom087 z9a

I'd personally go with the 14-14-14 Osmocote. It's a slow release and in case you let a few weeks slide without a liquid fertalizer (at half strength) then they are at least getting something. I wouldn't fertalize more than a couple of times a month unless you're pushing growth, really, and that can cause a plant to become weak and prone to bugs. Growing hard (less feeding and watering) helps promote a strong plant that can overwinter better and less prone to pests.

Just my thoughts.
Kirk

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 10:42PM
grantr(5)

Thanks, Kirk. So that 10-10-10 liquid fertilized at half strength every other watering, paired with the 14-14-14 granulated should give me steady, healthy growth?

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 11:14PM
kodom087 z9a

I'd think so. Something with too much nitrogen would cause more leaf growth to where a more balanced would give it everything it needs for blooms and growth. Some only use a liquid fertilizer, some only use a time release, some that use both my only use the liquid 1-2 times a month. Hopefully someone else will chime in as to their uses.

Kirk

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Winter seedlings
In a heated plant box, 14 hours under T5HOs. Thanks,...
fakechuchi
Nowhere even near the vicinity of the forum topic
Everyone is indoors, hunkered down for another 7 inches...
fakechuchi
A little trip to Az.
Hi all, I have been wanting to post this pictures,...
maark23 TX/8a
Need help with Sieve Dilemna for Gritty mix
Hey, guys I know this has been posted on before I am...
flgrown1
Finally! My First Seedling Bloom
Hallelujah! After almost 2 years of coddling seedlings...
ginger9899
Sponsored Products
Jullian Ivory Shag Rug (7'7 x 10'6)
Overstock.com
Thermocast Kitchen Chesapeake Drop-in Acrylic 33x22x9 5-Hole Double Bowl
Home Depot
Lithonia Lighting Flood Lights 1-Lamp Outdoor Bronze Sodium Flood Light OFL 70S
$77.97 | Home Depot
Steamed Milk Cleo 24" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Ocean Light Oushak Rug 8' x 10'
$3,799.00 | Horchow