Need help with fetilizer, please

grantr(5)March 28, 2013

I have searched the adenium forums, but can't seem to get a definite answer on what fertilizer to use. Several people have recommended Osmocote, but there are two types. One is 19-6-12 and the other is 14-14-14.

I have also seen others who say to use a 20-20-20. I found a water soluble brand called "Jack's Classic," and bought that as well.

Someone at the store also recommended Miracle Grow "Rose Plant Food," so I have that as well. It's also water soluble and is an 18-24-16.

I have done well, with both of my plants. Both are adenium obssesum, I believe. I've had them for two years, and one of them bloomed indoors last year. I just don't know how to fertilize them, or any houseplants.

Can I use a liquid fertilizer mixed in with the water each time I water them, in addition to the slow release granules? Which one(s) and how often? Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kodom087 z9a

I'd personally go with the 14-14-14 Osmocote. It's a slow release and in case you let a few weeks slide without a liquid fertalizer (at half strength) then they are at least getting something. I wouldn't fertalize more than a couple of times a month unless you're pushing growth, really, and that can cause a plant to become weak and prone to bugs. Growing hard (less feeding and watering) helps promote a strong plant that can overwinter better and less prone to pests.

Just my thoughts.
Kirk

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 10:42PM
grantr(5)

Thanks, Kirk. So that 10-10-10 liquid fertilized at half strength every other watering, paired with the 14-14-14 granulated should give me steady, healthy growth?

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 11:14PM
kodom087 z9a

I'd think so. Something with too much nitrogen would cause more leaf growth to where a more balanced would give it everything it needs for blooms and growth. Some only use a liquid fertilizer, some only use a time release, some that use both my only use the liquid 1-2 times a month. Hopefully someone else will chime in as to their uses.

Kirk

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Rinoa Chen seeds
Hello, good afternoon! Has anyone bought seeds of Rinoa...
Relve
Roll Call!
Yo! everyone made it okay? Pagan
fakechuchi
Newbie in Adenium plants
These are my Adeniums. I bought some seeds somewhere...
SimonaB
Yellow DR
I know this is not an unusual one but it has brighten...
kitnor
Unable to log in.
I am very dissapointed that I am not able to log in...
3300koi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™