yucca soap tree

roma0904(9)April 9, 2014

I know this is a forum for adenium but maybe someone can help me,
There is a big real nice yucca soap tree on an empty lot next to my house, soon they are going to start building a apartment complex so they are going to clean and obviously they are going to get rid of it, around it there are a lot of seedlings about 1 to 2 inches long, I took one and placed it in a pot but it's dying, does anybody know how to take them out and pot them without damaging them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fakechuchi(7)

hi there.

knowing nothing about yucca trees, here is what i would do---i'd dig out a seedling and see how extensive the root system is. next, i would dig around another one, being careful to do so at the distance where i would not disturb the roots. the idea is so that the plant will not notice it has been moved at all. then plop it into an appropriately sized pot, soil and all.

or, dig a hole in your yard and move it there--it's generally the same environment and presumably the same (or similar) soil.

I have only ever done this to poppies which are notoriously sensitive to being uprooted and replanted. But as long as i dug around far and deep enough to avoid disturbing the roots, all of them transplanted successfully. i would have had a gorgeous bed of poppies. but they were no match for woodchucks who had a salad fiesta as soon as the flower buds appeared. Hmmph.

if there are lots of seedlings, try and get the oldest one. maybe getting more than one is a good idea too, one of them is bound to take.

they might have more specific information for you in the cactus and succulents forum, though!

i hope this helps somewhat.

Pagan

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 1:22PM
roma0904(9)

Pagan
Thanks for your advice, I will try as suggested, will try to find more info too

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 3:37PM
roma0904(9)

Pagan
Thanks for your advice, I will try as suggested, will try to find more info too

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Second Year!
There are 16 inches of snow-shoveling being procrastinated...
fakechuchi
ordered true Adenium socotranum
I ordered a true Adenium socotranum seedling from arid...
kuroc
We lost USDA zones in conversion to new site.
Sadly, I cannot see how to list our USDA zones under...
jedobaTX9b
True Socotranum Seedlings
These are the True Socotranum seedlings that I have...
rcharles_gw
Adenium Leaves Curled Under
A few of my adenium seedlings (4 mo.) new growth of...
bilabongbong
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™