Catching up

kodom087 z9aApril 29, 2013

Had a long weekend down in Port Aransas, Texas for SandFest visiting my sister. Lots of great sand sculptures (link to be posted later), bird watching from my sister's decks around her house and of course some pretty plants blooming around the island.

Anyway, here's some pics of her two desert roses.

Her newly acquired purchase that she didn't pick one up for me from the Corpus Cristi Botanical Garden sale two weekends ago. *sad face* Looks to be an arabicum/somalense cross She sent it home with me to start training the branches for her. She may not ever get it back! LOL

Her obesum she got last year at the Corpus Cristi Botanical Garden sale. I bare rooted to repot. Found only very little bit of rot on the tip of the tap root (that was never cut off). I always thought her's was rooted from cutting until this weekend when I started the repot project.

Repotted with dirt mound up around the DR. Told her how to care for it and water it for the next couple of months. Eventually the dirt mound will wash down slowly exposing the roots/caudex without sunburn (I hope) eventually exposing about 2 inches total. Next year more exposure in the repot.

Just for fun, her back porch with some Baltimore Oriole and Red Breasted Grosbeak hanging out under her Fuschia plant. You only see two here but there were always about 20-30 hanging around fighting over the fruit.

Kirk

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kodom087 z9a

Also while I was gone Houston had a major rain and hail storm. I was worried my adeniums may have got beat up in my absence since I saw on the news flooded streets with rivers of hail flowing like massive amounts of ping pong balls around the Reliant Stadium. I'm only about 5 or so miles South from there. Luckily a neighbor told me that we only got some rain and that the hail missed our neighborhood. I'm glad I did decide to put my seedlings in the house in a window as a "just in case" moment.

Here's a couple of pics of what bloomed while I was gone. Sorry the flowers may look a tad ugly. That's just from getting heavily rained on with some wind whipping.

First pic. My Purple Rose finally opened up. I was worried as most of the buds never opened and would just drop off.

Second pic. More of my Hassadee Red opened while I was gone. Also got beat up by the storm.

Kirk

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:10PM
ltran54(9)

Kirk, your purple rose are beautiful. Hassadee Red will be when the weather gets warmer.
Marie

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:30PM
kodom087 z9a

Thanks, Marie. Hope your plants didn't get damaged in the hail storm Saturday night.

Kirk

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:42PM
ltran54(9)

Too wet in my back yard, I stayed inside and didn't check.
I will after work today.

Marie

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:37PM
kodom087 z9a

This comment post is off topic but as I said earlier in this thread...down below is a link to some pictures of the SandFest sand sculptures I saw this weekend. I didn't stay long enough to see the completed works but they were near completion when I took my pictures. Weather was kind of bad down there. These pictures are after a night of a lot of rain. How non of them got damaged I really don't know but glad they didn't.

If you move your mouse over the picture during slide show a menu will pop up. You can pause, go forward or backward if you like. If you hit the "x" button it will take you to a thumbnail view of pictures. Keep clicking on a picture to enlarge. Or hit the arrow button at top to get back to slide show. Also while in thumbnail view at the top you'll see a "Enjoy.
Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: Port Aransas SandFest

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Help! How to trim and transfer my Adenium
My Adenium has not been taken cared for in years. Now...
audreydychua
First flower buds!!!!
Just got back from Orchids by Hausermann's open house...
Andrew
Killing Him Slowly
Thank you, forum members, for sharing and answering...
bilabongbong Z11b
Winter seedlings
In a heated plant box, 14 hours under T5HOs. Thanks,...
fakechuchi
Baby adeniums repotted
Spent the past couple of days cleaning up the roots,...
kodom087 z9a
Sponsored Products
Odessa Satin Nickel One-Light mini pendant with Opal Matte Glass
$300.00 | Bellacor
Paisley Rain Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Segovia Collection 20" Wide Semi-Flush Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Horse Under Tree Rustic Tiffany Style Stained Glass Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Olive Kids Mermaids Multi Colored 39
$49.97 | Home Depot
Nitrogen Cable Articulating Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
Pyramid Crystal Chandelier
Overstock.com
Talista Wall Mounted 1-Light Outdoor Antique Bronze Wall Lantern with Clear