Not convinced this is an Obesum

karyn1(7a)May 26, 2012

The foliage and shape of the stem of this plant is so different then any of my other obesums. I'll take a pic of the stem later. The foliage is consistantly narrower, a different green with very prominent white veins. The stem looks like a Hershey's kiss at the base and tapers to a long thin main stem. I haven't pruned it yet but it's still different looking then my obesums that haven't been pruned that are the same age.What other variety could it be?

The 1st is the plant in question followed by several other obesums that have slightly different foliage and a variegated plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aggie2(10a)

Karyn,

I noticed a lot of variability with adenium leaves. There are two distinct shapes: spoon like (narrower at the base then wide with little point or indentation) or narrow lancet shaped with sharp point. I have seen both types as glaborous or pubescent, although narrow ones seem to be lighter green with visible veins. I tough it could be swazicum hybrid grafted on obesum as a root stock.
I have two with this kind of foliage; one for almost 2 years now, it's branches are thinner than others:

And this new plant:

Both are grafts.
Aggie

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 10:58PM
karyn1(7a)

The plant in your 1st pic's foliage is definitely similar. This isn't grafted. It's a seed grown plant. All my adeniums have glabrous foliage. I don't know if I've even seen a fuzzy DR leaf.

BTW I saw the pics of your new DR's, very nice. The first bloom looks so much like a mandevilla. If I hadn't known it was a DR and only saw the flower I might have thought it was. You can really see the Apocynaceae family resemblance with the two.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 7:39AM
ltran54(9)

Karyn, adenium leaves have many shapes.
Aggie, your grafted plants are beautiful.
I love them both. I did have these two colors but both died last year and year before.
Marie

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
The Great Soil Debate
Updated with best answers(7-22-14) So while there is...
jasonwipf
Adenium almost 'two meters' height
I have this obesum since 2010, she was one of the first...
Relve
Unable to log in.
I am very dissapointed that I am not able to log in...
3300koi
Nowhere even near the vicinity of the forum topic
Everyone is indoors, hunkered down for another 7 inches...
fakechuchi
Twins!
Two plants from the same seed! I didn't know that could...
Andrew
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™