What happens if you don't raise Adenium roots?

sutremaine(UK S.Wales 9)May 21, 2012

'Nothing much, but you're going to need a bigger pot' is probably the best answer, but I'm curious about what sort of look you'd get if you sowed some seed and kept the resulting plant at the same level in the pot at each repotting, or if the roots would be significantly different after several years.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aggie2(10a)

I guess keeping roots underground will not change them much, just make them "invisible". Some of adenium species in the wild have all or most of the caudex below soil level!

Aggie

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 10:20PM
jlgarden(8)

An adenium nurseryman in India had said that only the portion below the soil is able to grow larger. I like to have a short, fat and complex caudex rather than a long and tall one. I follow his advise and use the pot that has the height proportion to its diameter and keep the caudex below the soil level for a few years. Time will tell if the nurseryman is right.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 3:05PM
karyn1(7a)

jlgarden I've also heard that the underground portion of the caudex of most caudiciform plants is the only part that will grow. Once it's hardened off by being exposed to air that part will no longer grow. I don't know if this is indeed a fact but it does make sense.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 7:00AM
bronxfigs

OK....here's a question:

If you grow a plant in a tall, but narrow pot, and do not replant it into a larger pots as the plant gets bigger, will the roots grow towards the wall of the pot, and then eventually grow, and take/conform to the shape of the pot?

Here's why I ask...I want to try to grow an Adenium with a relatively thick but columnar shaped trunk,... to "suggest" the African, "Baobab Tree". I have a straight-sided, pot that is twelve inches tall, and 8 inches in diameter. I would like to plant the Adenium in this pot, and let it grow until the roots fill and take on the shape of the pot. Then I will gradually expose the clump of roots, which have now, hopefully, taken on the cylindrical shape of the pot, and grow/train the top end, above this clump of roots, to mimic a Baobab Tree. Of course this is all speculation, but have any growers noticed if roots do, in fact, take on the shape of the pot's interior?

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, and help.

Frank

Frank

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
First flower buds!!!!
Just got back from Orchids by Hausermann's open house...
Andrew
Someone has Adenium seeds to donate, please?
I'm tired of being deceived by Thai ebay stores. Comes...
Gustavo Felpe
March Blooms
This Adenium has just burst into flower it has a total...
jayeff71
Seeds and recommending other plants
Hi, I would love to grow a Desert Rose from seed. I...
dourbest
Sponsored Products
Country Club Hammock-in-a-Bag
$24.99 | zulily
Irena Curtain Panel with Attached Backing
Overstock.com
Furniture of America Verena Contoured Leveled Display Cabinet/ Bookcase
Overstock.com
Designers Fountain 83811 Del Ray Semi-Flush Light in Flemish Bronze Finish - 838
$273.50 | Hayneedle
Worlds Away - Dorian Mirror - DORIAN
Great Furniture Deal
Star Chaser Wall Plaque/Garden Statue - 592
$36.50 | Hayneedle
Stanley Coastal Living Resort Tranquility Isle Night Stand Dolphin 062-B3-83 Mul
$699.98 | Hayneedle
Rafter Outdoor Sofa
$3,795.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™