KVD (alba) slow to leaf out

thorn_grower(Zone 5)May 13, 2011

I pruned back this rose by at least half last yr.. It was 6-7ft and 9yrs old. It was one of my best performers, but last year it seemed old and tired and just not performing well ( like me hahaha)This year it is the last rose to start leafing out, is this normal after such a severe pruning.

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sadie_pnw

I have a KvD grafted onto multiflora from Pickering that is going into it's second spring. Of all the albas it is the slowest to leaf out. I follow Olga's advice on pruning the once bloomers and cut it back after it's small flowering display last spring. It grew back nicely but is slow to leaf out.

I did the same thing to all my once bloomers and KvD is the only leaf-laggard of the bunch. was this the first time you'd really pruned it? I have so little experience with the albas I don't really know - but maybe KvD leafs slowly after being pruned. Gean

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 2:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sadie_pnw

I have a KvD grafted onto multiflora from Pickering that is going into it's second spring. Of all the albas it is the slowest to leaf out. I follow Olga's advice on pruning the once bloomers and cut it back after it's small flowering display last spring. It grew back nicely but is slow to leaf out.

I did the same thing to all my once bloomers and KvD is the only leaf-laggard of the bunch. was this the first time you'd really pruned it? I have so little experience with the albas I don't really know - but maybe KvD leafs slowly after being pruned.

Sorry for the double posting of my comments, but the comments didn't show up the first time I posted, but then whoops, now there are two. Gean

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 2:37AM
More Discussions
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
Aphids have found my roses...
I guess you never find just one aphid... I just spent...
vmr423
Companion plants for roses in drought-stricken California
Hi everyone! I have a small cottage garden in drought-stricken...
rathersmallbunny
What roses are you adding in 2015?
I have an order coming from Greenmantle Nursery soon...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Rain!
For those of us in drought-stricken areas of California,...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™