What is this syrup type substance

averil(8b)June 16, 2013

Hi folks I'm after a bit of advice. On a couple of occasions I have noticed a substance that looks very like golden syrup on the growth points of my adeniums. I couldn't post a pic because I couldn't get a good enough close up. I have removed it with a q tip and I can't see any beasts. Does anyone know what this is. Could it be some kind of sap? Once again thanks for any help
Kind regards to all
Averil UK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcharles_gw

Averil,
I have seen a similar substance on other plants, but not my Adeniums.
The sap that the Adeniums lose is clear. I do not remember it turning amber colored afterwards.
Makes one think that possibly it is a healing process from an injury from something (insects, etc.)

Why not send a note off to durch, Chris Durham from Durham Botanicals.
He is a wealth of knowledge and has always been very gracious about receiving private quearies.
Rick

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:09PM
averil(8b)

Thanks Rick, I shall send a note. I've noticed this substance a few times but the plants are very healthy
Many thanks
Averil UK

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 3:58AM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Hi Averil. I think you will find that it is indeed the sap. As Rick says, it runs out of the plant as a clear substance, but once it is in contact with the air it dries to a brownish colour, reminiscent of the 'syrup' you may be seeing. I have also had this happen on my plants for eg. when I have removed or accidentally knocked off a leaf. Hope this helps.
Gill UK.

This post was edited by greenclaws on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 17:43

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 2:41PM
jv44(Zone 4 MN)

I've also seen this amber-colored substance on a few of my pachypodiums occasionally, usually coming from a broken leaf--possibly caused by some small critter thinking said leaf might make a good meal. I don't see it very often so I imagine these critters learn very quickly that pachy leaves don't taste good at all.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 5:31PM
egyronin(6B-7-BK,NY)

Averil i am no expert but i did notice a little of sap runs out when i pinched of the flower from a newly potted DR, so i agree with the rest.so keep your plant away from rain if anything to help in the healing process.but i wouldn't be concern.plant is so evolved to heal them self perfectly after a trauma.i think i read that someone here recommended using honey for their antiseptic ability.i cant remember his/her name.just what i think it is from reading .good luck
Ahmed

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 4:56PM
averil(8b)

Thanks everyone. You are all such a big help. That puts my mind at rest
Kind regards
Averil

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Adenium Leaves Curled Under
A few of my adenium seedlings (4 mo.) new growth of...
bilabongbong
Grafted Arabicum
This arabicum dr was grafted four months ago. Glad...
koi3300
February Update
Hey everyone, I was away for a while and clearly here...
Andrew
We lost USDA zones in conversion to new site.
Sadly, I cannot see how to list our USDA zones under...
jedobaTX9b
trying to post a picture
How odd this new forum is, I have been away for a while....
katluvr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™