WANTED: seedlings exchange / swap

blrhudugiFebruary 5, 2014

Hello,

this is my first year gardening. So I plan on trying both winter sowing and regular indoor sowing. In fact, I just put out 35 or so containers outside and am hoping they will all sprout.

Question is - is there a forum where we can swap / request seedlings (if people have extras) come spring time. Maybe I am looking too far ahead, but just wanted to know if there was such a thing. Also, what are the logistics for such a swap (meaning, I know how to send seeds - thanks to the other exchange/trading forums on this site; but how does one package a plant and what is the mode of shipping). Or should I find other members who are more local and try to do a face to face exchange.

thank you very much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

I was wondering the same thing. I "HOPE" to have a surplus of seedlings and like the idea of swapping rather then just cramming them in somewhere OR leaving them in the germination container until fall (Or until they croak)
For many I think using the HunK o Seedling method would work for shipping. Just wrap the roots and moist soil like the roots of a plant. Then wrap in paper towel/ newspaper like any small plant.
Any other ideas/suggestions?
bethb

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 6:06PM
kilngod z6b(Zone 6b)

I've shipping miniplugs of ws seedlings successfully. Saran wrap the plug and fit it tightly into a toilet paper roll so the top of the roll protects the plants. Saran wrap & packing tape over the ends.

These TP-plugs fit nicely into a small flat box, like a box of cigars. Box the size of a small PO priority flat, the one where the top flips up like a book cover. I think 5 tubes fit across that box type.

I think fuller sized plants at the end of the season are better, but this method works.
-Tina

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 7:14PM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

Tina, thanks for the good info.
Hopefully birhudugi is still around and interested in this. As we get closer to the right time and know what surplus is available, I'm very interested in swapping some surplus seedlings.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 8:19AM
vegpatch(5 Colo)

Count me in as well I am already thinking about who might 'adopt' some seedlings.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
WANTED: California Poppy Seeds for Solstice Sowing
I'm in need of some CA poppy seeds to include in my...
atravers
WANTED: Named canna seeds to winter sow
Anyone have any extra named canna seeds to trade?If...
debbiep_gw
WANTED: Seeds I didn't plant last fall
I'm just starting on native plants. I collected some...
dr.liz
WANTED: Fall seed exchange list- I have & want
I want following for exchange (see my offer list) NEEM...
ju1234
WANTED: Siberian Iris Seeds
I really really want Siberian Iris seeds. I can't seem...
gardencrazy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™