Rose died, coming up from roots

lucky1_gardenerMay 14, 2011

Hi - We had a very wet, cold and soggy winter. Two of my David Austin's had the upper part die, but now there is new growth coming up from the roots. I'm sure one looks to be a grafted (Tamora) and Abraham Darby which is the two year old plant and is hard to tell if it's grafted or not, but it has lots of new growth coming up from the roots.

I'm wondering what the chances are that the new growth is from the rose I bought or from what it was grafted on? And what rose do they use for grafting?

I love roses but really don't know a lot about them, but have usually had good luck with the other roses in my garden which includes other David Austins planted in similar conditions.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

If the growth does not produce flowers this year, it is most probably rootstock.

Probably Dr. Huey was the root stock. If you leave the growth until next year you can get small dark red flowers in spring. Dr. Huey is a once-a-year bloomer.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 12:00AM
york_rose

Dr. Huey is also a climbing rose, so if the new canes are notably longer than Tamora or Abraham Darby were for you the chances are probably good that Mother Nature has decided to replace your roses with Dr. Huey.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 1:50AM
lucky1_gardener

Thank you both. I guess I'll hold out a little hope that they aren't Dr. Huey since I loved the flowers on Tamora and Abraham Darby. The weather we've had and been having are really testing my garden right now.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
'Prospero'
We just got back from two wonderful days camped at...
jerijen
about the David Austin bagged root roses out there now
Over on the rose forum there was a report of Austin...
stillanntn6b
Somebody try messaging without following! I set mine up...
...so you can try me. I saw the drop-down for it in...
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
Felicite et Perpetue in a tree?
Does anyone near zone 7 have Felicite et Perpetue growing...
dindrane
Good filler flowers for Rose Bouquets-Hot Humid FL
What are some good bouquet filler flowers that I can...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™