Branch tip growth points lost....

greenclaws UKzone8aAugust 31, 2012

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask has anyones plant done this...I've noticed this summer on several plants that the growth tips have browned, the tiny leaves seemed to get welded together with what looked like the sap, you know it dries to that shiny brown hard stuff? No bugs present, it just seemed to glue up the growth points so not many new leaves have formed lately.

Bonus points are that as a consequence, I can now see many more growth points are forming in a ring around the lost tips.....so I should get even more branches next year.

Gill from the UK.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I've had something similar happen on a few branches on different plants, especially my grafted and variegated plants, but I haven't seen any sap, hardened or otherwise. The tiny new growth just dries and drops. Sometimes the tip dries as well. The tips that haven't dried send out new foliage. The tips that have dropped develop new branches below, like they've had the tips pinched. Whatever it is has never spread down the branch and all have continued growing normally.

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 7:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenclaws UKzone8a

Hi Karyn, thanks for your imput. Maybe it isn't actually dried sap that is at the end of these aborted tips, just the dried out growth point. Anyway, the fact that they seem to send out more baby growth buds around the affected tip is even better, so, apart from this new feature all is well with them thankfully!!
Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
ordered true Adenium socotranum
I ordered a true Adenium socotranum seedling from arid...
kuroc
Adenium Leaves Curled Under
A few of my adenium seedlings (4 mo.) new growth of...
bilabongbong
Newbie in Adenium plants
These are my Adeniums. I bought some seeds somewhere...
SimonaB
We lost USDA zones in conversion to new site.
Sadly, I cannot see how to list our USDA zones under...
jedobaTX9b
Winter seedlings
In a heated plant box, 14 hours under T5HOs. Thanks,...
fakechuchi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™