New to Adeniums

dogg1967August 12, 2014

Hello Adenium Junkies...
I have lurked long and hard for sometime on this particular forum and I have also searched for an Adenium to call my own. I'm still thinking about purchasing seeds and following that path.

However, I recently discovered 6 Adenium plants in my local grocery store simply called Desert Roses. I took the plunge and picked one up. It was horrifyingly planted in solid peat of which I freed it. It is now comfortably sitting in a clay pot of gritty mix. Here it is amongst its cohabitants:

and on its own...

No doubt it's a common pink flowering type, but it's mine!

I just re-potted it today so a couple questions:

Should I water it thoroughly (I misted it only)?
Should I fertilize it immediately?
Will it be fine in a south facing window with my other cacti and succulents?

Thanks for all your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcharles_gw(8a.)

I would water it in. If you use a "half strength" fertilizer would be fine. If it where bareroot, which yours was not, then you would use plain water. Use something similar to 9-3-6 or 24-8-16.
Should be fine in South facing window, but you may find that it drops some leaves with change of growing situation.
Rick

This post was edited by rcharles on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 22:35

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 10:30PM
dogg1967

Thanks Rick. I watered it in as you suggested with a weak fertilizer solution. Now, just have to wait and see how it goes. In the meantime, I'm working on a DIY light stand for in the basement where I still just might try my hand at Adenium seeds this winter.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:55AM
ginger9899(10 SW Florida)

Welcome Dogg1967! That's a nice looking Adenium you purchased, nice caudex! You should try seeds for sure since you keep thinking about it...they are very rewarding. Just be aware, if you plants tons of seeds, you very well could end up with tons of seedlings lol. I planted tons thinking I would end up with a couple that sprouted and survived, and instead they all did :)

Heather

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 2:39PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Hi there and a warm welcome to the forum, I hope you find it interesting here, we have some great folks on board.
You have a good looking plant there, well done for finding it. It is now well on it's way to rewarding you thanks to the re-pot into a decent looking gritty mix. Please stay around, it's nice to see new faces!

Gill UK

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 3:42PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

Welcome to the forum. Your Adenium has a very interesting looking caudex and looks very healthy.

I agree that you should try growing seeds. It is so enjoyable to see the little plants grow and change. Each one is so different and if you grow enough you can experiment with shaping their roots etc. I say carry on!

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Adenium multiflorum mombasa Repot
Hi all, I decided to repot this plant after I noticed...
haworthia
Finally! My First Seedling Bloom
Hallelujah! After almost 2 years of coddling seedlings...
ginger9899
Unable to Reply
For some reason I am unable to reply to, and to make...
bilabongbong Z11b
Help! How to trim and transfer my Adenium
My Adenium has not been taken cared for in years. Now...
audreydychua
Killing Him Slowly
Thank you, forum members, for sharing and answering...
bilabongbong Z11b
Sponsored Products
Amplifier Cabernet Set Of Four Glasses
Classic Hostess
Ivory & Navy Handwoven Wool Rug
$99.99 | zulily
Napa East Wine Barrel Lettered Staves - Carpe Vinum - 1023-CARPE
$69.90 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Hand-woven Sisal Natural/ Red Seagrass Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
New Unique Oriental Hand Knotted 6'x9' Red & Ivory Persian Kazak Mesa Rug H3396
BH Sun Inc
Four-Story Iron Shelf
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™