most evergreen rose - need a screen

adamharbeck(WA Aust)May 7, 2014

So we had some very wild weather last night which resulted in my red tecoma hedge toppling over. It was too badly damaged to try and salvage. So I have cleared it away and decided it's as good a spot as any to grow a rose hedge.

I will need something tall (six feet min) and preferably evergreen that will make a suitable screen. I have a couple of mutabilis and would prefer something different. And fragrant.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melissa_thefarm(NItaly)

'Spray Cecile Brunner' comes to mind. It's massive, beautiful, and fragrant, but it does like to be 2-3 meters tall and wide. I thought of it because most roses that get that tall tend either to spread or to flop to some extent, but SCB doesn't: it makes a vase-shaped shrub.
Among the Teas, you might take a look at 'Archduke Joseph', to use this rose's European name. This one will grow very tall--you might need to give it support--is evergreen or nearly so, with particularly good foliage, and has beautiful fragrant flowers.
I grow the old Noisettes 'Blush Noisette' and 'Belle Vichyssoise' as upright largish shrubs. Both have small, abundant, sweetly fragrant pale flowers, with a scent that wafts.
All these roses are evergreen in a warm climate, and all grow tolerably upright without support, with the possible exception of 'Archduke Joseph'. I hope this helps.
Melissa

This post was edited by melissa_thefarm on Thu, May 8, 14 at 6:48

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 2:15AM
jacqueline9CA

I would echo Spray Cecile Brunner. Just be careful not to plant too many! Here are pics of our 100+ year old bush. The first one is when it is not blooming, and has my DH in the picture for scale. The second pic is when it is blooming. This is ONE bush. I am guessing it is a spray Cecile Brunner - it is definitely some sort of Cecile Brunner, and does not have the rampant growth which the Cl version does, so it has to be the spray version, or the normal bush version (which I have 2 of, and neither gets anywhere near this big.

It is growing in No Cal, zone 9 - classic Mediterranean climate.

Jackie

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 2:15PM
jacqueline9CA

Here it is starting to bloom.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 2:16PM
muscovyduckling(Melbourne, Australia)

The Banksia rose was evergreen at my mum's house in Perth. The white one had a beautiful subtle fragrance, but the yellow one didn't have any fragrance. She grew it over a pergola - it would most likely require support for a hedge though. A once-bloomer, but it bloomed for ages and ages.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 3:06AM
Campanula UK Z8

you could look at Adelaide D'Orleans or any of the sempervirens ramblers.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
How Drought Tolerant Is Darlow's Enigma?
A couple of years ago, the phone company swooped in...
plectrudis (Zone 8b Central TX)
Duchesse de Brabant: Evaluation and Photos
Accidentally put this on the "Roses Forum"...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Would you share your garden with a stranger?
A woman on another forum whose house has a separate...
mariannese
Please help me identify this rose?
This rose blooms only once a year in the spring. My...
linjon zone 5
RdV cane hardiness & shade tolerance?
I was wondering if anyone grows Reine des Violettes...
true_blue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™