How to take care of ROT

ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)August 6, 2014

I just want to inform everyone so that people catch rot well before it gets as bad as mine has. Here is what happened.

I bought a very nice healthy plant last year toward the end of the season. So it never grew leaves. I kept it dry all winter with no problems. It had two branches...this spring one branch started showing rot. I figured since I had two branches that I would just let this one be as I did not think it would rot all the way back to the caudex.

Well, it did. Today I decided to cut the branch off. I used my grafting knife and thought all I would need to do was cut off the branch right up along side of the caudex. Well, I was wrong, the rot had started moving in towards the caudex so I had to cut...clean my grafting blade with alcohol, cut again...clean...cut and scoop out ALL the rot.

Once I had all the rot cleaned out I sprayed the wound with Daconil Fungicide, I removed all the leaves and placed inside my greenhouse in a shady area.

I'm sharing this so that everyone really watches their adeniums and when you first notice rot, just get rid of it as it will not stop on its own. It will keep spreading until the plant is dead.

Here is a photo of the Adenium after I cut off the branch, scooped out all the rot and sprayed with fungicide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltran54(9)

Ladylotus, I share your pain, I just got 2 big ones rot last week. I had no idea why they got rot in July and August.

I tryed to save them but sometimes it works sometime it doesn't.

Marie

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 3:06PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

Marie,

Are you having cooler than normal temperatures?

I know I am here. It has been cool and cloudy and we are getting very few days that are 80+ degrees with full sun. I think that had a lot to do with my situation.

Had I caught it sooner I would not have had to dig so deep to get the rot out. I am hoping it will help others catch their rot sooner rather than create such a sad wound.

I sure hope it survives and heals over.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 11:45PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

I thought I would share a photo of how the rot starts. Here is one of my new adeniums that is showing rot. I cut them back to green/white wood but yikes...you really need to be on your toes and catch this early.

The first adenium above seems to have healed over well and looks like it will survive.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Unable to log in.
I am very dissapointed that I am not able to log in...
3300koi
Yellow DR
I know this is not an unusual one but it has brighten...
kitnor
Ballooning
On one of the many adenium groups on facebook I saw...
kodom087 z9a
Nowhere even near the vicinity of the forum topic
Everyone is indoors, hunkered down for another 7 inches...
fakechuchi
Help with desert rose and gritty mix
Hey, guys n gals just hoping for a little help on a...
flgrown1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™