desert rose family?

ltran54(9)September 14, 2012

A friend of mine gave me these 2 small plants. She got them from her out of state sister. She told me the bloom will be yellow. I know they came from desert rose family, but never own one for myself. (now I have 2). After asking around, another friend show me a picture of her plant with 3 blooms on it, but she doesn't know anything else about this kind of desert rose.

Does anyone in here know more about this plant?

This is the older plant with blooms.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnsonm08(5a)

Pachypodium for sure-- maybe rosulatum. I'm sure if you post on the cacti forum someone will have a positive ID.
Mike

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 12:54PM
ltran54(9)

Mike, thank you so much.
I google both names your gave, and the first one was right on the dot. Pachypodium. The second name has caudex base and it looks very simlilar too.
Now I can find out how to care for it.
Thank you again.
Marie

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 2:15PM
karyn1(7a)

I wonder why the pics aren't showing up for me? I treat my pachys the same as most of my other succulents. Dry in the winter well watered in the summer. Mine lose their leaves in the winter but I still keep them warm and under lights, though I'm not sure it's necessary.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 9:57AM
greenclaws UKzone8a

No pics for me either :(
Gill from the UK

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 2:44PM
ltran54(9)

I am sorry Karyn and Gill. After Mike gave me the name I googled it and put a name on the pictures. I then replace it on photobucket for easy remember, without relized it will disappeared from GW.
Here they are with name.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 9:45PM
karyn1(7a)

Very nice. I agree with Mike on rosulatum. BTW rosulatum is a pachy. It's very similar to my P. bicolor but the leaves are smaller. The first ones look a bit like small P. lameri ramosum's but I'm not sure the foliage is right. Did Mike give you the species name?

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 10:47PM
ltran54(9)

No, Karyn, if you have more info, please help me out.
Thank you so much.
Marie

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 12:02AM
karyn1(7a)

The only info I can give is that the ones in the 1st pic might be a variety of Pachypodium lameri and the 2nd is most likely Pachypodium rosulatum. Here's an old pic of my P. lameri ramosum (while dormant)

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 3:29PM
johnsonm08(5a)

Hi Marie,
A lot of the little ones look very similar at that stage--In a couple of years when/if they start to branch or flower you should be able to pin the name down!
Mike

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 3:46PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Hi Marie, no worries! If you could email me a pic of each of the plants I 'may' be able to get some more info for you from a Forum here in the UK I belong to...just a thought.
Mike, don't mean to 'tread on your toes' so to speak, just seeing if I can find out a bit more for Marie...the guys on my forum grow all manner of wierdo's!! lol!! :)
Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 4:03PM
ltran54(9)

Karyn, your plant is very cute.
Mike, thank you for the info.
Gill, is is okay...I now know how to take care them, full sun and less water....good enough for now.
Thank you again....
Marie

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 1:56PM
karyn1(7a)

I changed my mind about a variety of P. lameri. That pic of mine was from a few years ago and it just gets fatter around the middle. The bigger difference is that the foliage only grows from the tip. You might want to post the pic on the cacti/succulent forum.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Baby adeniums repotted
Spent the past couple of days cleaning up the roots,...
kodom087 z9a
A little trip to Az.
Hi all, I have been wanting to post this pictures,...
maark23 TX/8a
Awesome Colour
This is the first time this dr plant blooms. It blooms...
koi3300
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™