Rooting cuttings

cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)September 25, 2012

Hello I can't find the post about how to root an adenium cutting. My mom has one that she got from walmart and now there are 2 small branches growing on the cadex she would like to cut them and try to grow them but we dont know how. I remember seeing a post but now cant find it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbrow156(Cairns QLD Australia)

A member on here called Antoinette commented on one of my threads and said that to root a cutting she lets them sit for a couple of days till the end is calloused over & dried up,then puts them in an in-organic mix (gritty). Misted & pops them into a clear plastic baggie. You could try doing that? I am lazy and did some recently and just popped them straight into the gritty mix and they seem to be doing great. New growth and flowers opening (i had pretty big cuttings from pruning) so id say its a success :)

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 7:02PM
cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)

thank you

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 8:00PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Plants grown from cuttings 'rarely' develop fat bottoms, but that's not to say they 'never' do! Just curious as to why you want to sever the new branches from your new plant, maybe they are growing in the wrong place? Can you post a pic for us?
Regards, Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 5:31AM
cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)

They are down on the bottom mom doesn't think they should be there, would get a pic but i dont live with her and have a busy schedule.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 10:20AM
karyn1(7a)

I remove the foliage and allow the cuttings to cure for about a week then I pot them up in either pure perlite or a very gritty mix. I lightly water them in once with a stimulator like B1 or Superthrive, keep them someplace warm, and leave them be. No more water until I see new growth developing. I don't enclose the container or cover the cuttings in any way. I find that I get rot if I do that. I pretty much root them the same way that I do plumeria cuttings. They tke quite a while to root. So far I've never had one develop an enlarged caudex but I don't usually keep them for long.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 8:27AM
cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)

thank you

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Adenium almost 'two meters' height
I have this obesum since 2010, she was one of the first...
Relve
February Blooms
Here are a few of my February blooms. Many others...
jjbadenium
Twins!
Two plants from the same seed! I didn't know that could...
Andrew
Help with desert rose and gritty mix
Hey, guys n gals just hoping for a little help on a...
flgrown1
trying to post a picture
How odd this new forum is, I have been away for a while....
katluvr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™