Lowe's DR with potential

irun5kSeptember 16, 2012

I was looking at the DR's at the local Lowe's today. They are $15 and a few of them were really healthy.

One thing though, they *always* over-pot these things. You'd think you were buying a big shrub or small citrus tree given the size of the pots. Also, they appear to be seedlings, several years old, that have never been raised.

I saw one that I suspect must have a massive caudex waiting to be exposed under the soil. However, I wonder what kind of long term project this would be? I usually raise my plants a bit at a time. Has anyone ever done a few inches or more at a time? Also, I would think it is better to start doing this early, which is what I do with my own seedlings. Would there be any unforeseen implications on starting this with a plant that is already a few years old?

Thanks,

Brian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I've purchased a mature plant whose caudex was buried. A couple weeks after I got it home I repotted it and raised it several inches. There were no problems.

I wish we had some interesting plants at the local big box and chain stores. I daresay the only non nursery here that occasinally has nice stuff are the Trader Joe's grocery stores.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 3:01PM
guavafarmer

I have some adenium that has never been raised for over 5 years and I repotted and raised them 3-4 inches with no problem. You just have to be careful at the beginning to not expose them to extreme sun/heat right away or you will burn/damage the caudex. Mostly cosmetics.

I have seen the DR in Lowes and they do not look too good. They even had it just sitting indoors with minimal light. You just have to nurse it back to better condition.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 3:13PM
irun5k

Thanks- I may give this a try then. The fact that these plants were actually healthy (for a change) makes it an interesting opportunity. The colors were pretty basic (white, pink) but that is OK. I already have a nice red one.

Normally, I put some sphagnum moss around the plant after raising them in order to prevent sunburn.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 4:09PM
karyn1(7a)

I don't put anything around mine and I've never had an issue with sunburn. I'm in zone 7 so it's not like a zone 10 sun, but summer temps average in the 90's here.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
Seeds and recommending other plants
Hi, I would love to grow a Desert Rose from seed. I...
dourbest
Home Depot with large shipment of grafted doubles (pinks)
My local Home Depot has a large shipment of grafted...
jedobaTX9b
Unable to Reply
For some reason I am unable to reply to, and to make...
bilabongbong Z11b
Need help with Sieve Dilemna for Gritty mix
Hey, guys I know this has been posted on before I am...
flgrown1
Finally Joined
Greetings, After years of lurking and enjoying your...
Jairo
Sponsored Products
White Mission Low Loft Bed
$499.99 | zulily
LBL Lighting | Ensu Wall Canopy
$132.00 | YLighting
Zuo Reykjavik Pea Counter Chair
Euro Style Lighting
Worthy Leather Corner Sectional (3 piece) - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Vondom | Pillow Puff LED
YLiving.com
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Westinghouse Comet 52 in. Brushed Pewter Ceiling Fan 781366
Home Depot
Harrison Chair in Pink Velvet
Grandin Road
Terra Cotta Cachepot With Handles
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™