Sooty Mold on Desert Rose?

yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)September 21, 2012

I have a desert rose that I think became infested with aphids or mealy bugs but it may have been another bug (it was at a relative's house). Whatever it was excreted honeydew (I think) and the now it is covered in sooty mold (I think).

Usually I can get the sooty mold off of plants by first killing the bugs and then using soap and fungicides (daconil) to kill the mold. I haven't tried neem oil yet, but I will try that tomorrow.

The plant is better but still quite a bit of stubborn black stuff on it. I guess it is possible that it is not sooty mold but if so, then what is it and why won't daconil or soap get rid of it?

I have rinsed the plant many times and let it dry in the sun so it is not for lack of rinsing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcharles_gw(8a.)

I am no expert yumtomatoes, but if you where able to post a photo some of the others here might be able to have a better idea.

Here where I live we can get what is called 'wooly aphids'. They create a wooly white substance and we treat it with a Safer's soap product called End-All II , usually have to repeat 5-7 days later.
Usually wash off an hour afterwards so not to create damage to leaves and it is a contact product, so it has to contact pest to kill it.
This white that I speak of is not just level with surface like that of powder, it is 3 dimensional .

I am wondering if the alcohol treat that Karyn mentioned to me might work on this also.
Check it out before proceeding.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 10:06AM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

Thanks. The plant was covered in black, nothing white at the time I got her. I had sprayed her with acephate before I brought her home.

I looked up the Safer product; it has insecticidal soap, neem oil and pyrethrins. I have used acephate, soap and next will try neem but I can't use pyrethrins due to my cat.

Where is this alcohol treatment from karyn posted?

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 12:21PM
rcharles_gw(8a.)

Yumtomatoes,
It is posted in Adenium section from me. Safer's soap Trounce for aphids.
If not let me know.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
A little trip to Az.
Hi all, I have been wanting to post this pictures,...
maark23 TX/8a
Good Article - wanted to share
This is a good read and interesting article for Adeniumaholics. http://labellegardenclub.org/docs/DesertRoseCulture.pdf Rick...
rcharles_gw
Killing Him Slowly
Thank you, forum members, for sharing and answering...
bilabongbong Z11b
Help! How to trim and transfer my Adenium
My Adenium has not been taken cared for in years. Now...
audreydychua
Sponsored Products
Mystique Glimmer Finish Flameless Candle
Overstock.com
Wall Flame I Fireplace by Radius
$1,290.00 | Lumens
Corner Flame Fireplace by Radius
$1,450.00 | Lumens
Toikka Bird - Sooty Owl by Iittala
$475.00 | Lumens
Mystique 8-inch Ivory Flameless Taper Candle
Overstock.com