Arabicums Seed Pods

ilovetogrow z9 Jax FloridaSeptember 23, 2013

This is the seed pods on one of my fuzzy leaf Arabicums. The flower is a white single and the seed pods are this cool green. What I was wondering is what is the average time that it will take to open? Thank you Paula

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcharles_gw

Hi Paula,
I have withheld from posting as I have not had seed pods to deal with.
I have seen (through photo's) from others that have seed pods and when they start to turn Biege/red color, then they will start to split. Many put a fine wire wrapped around the seed pod from tip to stem base. Some us a muslin bag that is pulled over and tied at stem base so that they do not lose the seeds.
Wish I could be of more assistance.
Rick

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 8:52AM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

Thanks Rick. I have net stockings that I made for my seed pods out of white net used for bridal veils. I am interested in seed starting as I have about 10 plants with seed pods. Again Thank you. Paula

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 9:25PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hi Paula,

In your zone, they will probably open within a few weeks.. But these little guys are so hard to gauge, so I also recommend using something to catch them before they decide to fly away.. It has happened to me before. They opened and then that afternoon, they were gone.

Some of my trees with pods have slowed down since this cold down. In your heat, they could continue to mature and then POOF! They are here!!!

I have even tied twine to mine to keep them closed so that I could see them opened before I can miss anything. Stocking is another great idea. I just use twine in a few places on the pod.

Good luck.

Laura

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 7:23PM
fakechuchi(7)

Congratulations, Paula, you're going to have seedlings!

I've always wondered how you catch those things, since they have wings. I have a plant that shoots out seeds two to three meters out. I have to put the flower in a small ziploc bag to catch them. Even so, I still have seedlings all over various pots.

Pagan

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 11:25AM
More Discussions
Unable to log in.
I am very dissapointed that I am not able to log in...
3300koi
We lost USDA zones in conversion to new site.
Sadly, I cannot see how to list our USDA zones under...
jedobaTX9b
Newbie in Adenium plants
These are my Adeniums. I bought some seeds somewhere...
SimonaB
Awesome Colour
This is the first time this dr plant blooms. It blooms...
koi3300
Adenium leaves turned yellow and all fall off
One one of my adenium plants leaves has turned yellow...
Chris705743
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™