Attn: Ingrid Unknown rose

zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)May 1, 2011

Hi Ingrid-----I posted a picture of an unknown rose and you wondered what it was----someone on a previous post suggested it could be Shailor's Provence---

I'm so happy I took the cuttings because right after I did this rose was bull-dozed

Hope this helps

Florence

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

Shailer's Provence, in the Old Sacramento City Cemetery:

Jeri Jennings

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 11:30PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Florence, I looked this rose up and see that Shailer's Provence is a once-blooming rose. Does yours bloom only in the spring? If the identification is correct, this rose would not do well in my garden, but just to see this rose and know it's in your garden is enough for me. Rarely have I seen a rose picture that blew me away as much as the one you posted. Thank you so much for kindly giving me this update.

Ingrid

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 11:35PM
ronda_in_carolina

That beauty was bull-dozed??? Unthinkable!

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 12:15PM
zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)

Ingrid---it is a once bloomer---I also have another old rose that was here when I moved in which looks very much like this one---I find trying to identify old roses a daunting task .
Rhonda--I have a friend who lives over in N.J. and several years ago she called one day to tell me this was was going to be bulldozed to make room for a bigger parking lot where her DH was working---She said the rose was perfuming the whole area----So I quickly ran over there and took a few cuttings --the result is the gorgeous bush in my yard---
My friend called the very next day and said the old rose was gone----Thank goodness I do have two bushes and DD has one-----
It is very fragrant---

Florence

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 10:31PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Florence, I think what you did is wonderful and just in the nick of time! They should have built the parking lot around that rose. We have zillions of parking lots but how many roses like that do you see around? Your specimen is breath-taking!

Ingrid

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 1:12AM
More Discussions
Please help me identify this rose?
This rose blooms only once a year in the spring. My...
linjon zone 5
Finished At Last!
Just finished planting the last three roses today which...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Are There Any Roses You Regret Buying?
I've already discarded many dozens so I'd better not...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Old estate climber needs ID
This is a climbing rose that clambers to 15 feet over...
dkelch
Aphids have found my roses...
I guess you never find just one aphid... I just spent...
vmr423
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™