Repot now ?

gymnmore(z8, LA)November 13, 2012

I recently picked up a DR on sale, and the roots are starting to come out of the bottom of the pot. I willn't usually repot anything now, but I'm not sure if I should. Any suggestions? Thanks ~ Judy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltran54(9)

If you want, keep it on the dry side.
Very little water.
marie

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 1:51PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It's probably not a critical decision if you were to just sit tight for a while .... and are we really talking 'repot', or just 'potting up'? For a repot, I'd wait until May when the plant is starting to grow in earnest. Repotting now ensures a long and slow recovery, leaving the plant more susceptible to disease and insect predation for longer than necessary. Of course, you can pot up anytime, but the more water-retentive your soil is, the more you need to guard against over-potting.

If you think your plant would definitely gain from potting up now, why not do that - pot up into the next size pot using a soil similar to what it's in now, then do a full repot in May into a soil that holds little or no perched water.

Al

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 4:33PM
karyn1(7a)

Plenty of my adeniums have roots emerging from the drainage holes and I have no problems with them going dormant. I wait until spring to transplant. If the soil your plant is in is holding water I would transplant into a well draining mix but if the exposed roots are the only issue I'd wait until spring.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 6:22PM
gymnmore(z8, LA)

Thanks for the replies. I think it is going dormant, so I will wait till the spring. ~ Judy

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Granite Grit Substitute
HelIo, I have done tons of reading on these forums...
flgrown1
Adenium multiflorum mombasa Repot
Hi all, I decided to repot this plant after I noticed...
haworthia
Help! How to trim and transfer my Adenium
My Adenium has not been taken cared for in years. Now...
audreydychua
Waking up
I was just taking a look in the garage at all the adeniums...
kodom087 z9a
Baby adeniums repotted
Spent the past couple of days cleaning up the roots,...
kodom087 z9a
Sponsored Products
Sundance 16 1/2" High Fluorescent Wall Sconce
$79.98 | Lamps Plus
Time Flies Clock
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
ACF by Nameeks ACF CD03-GW Crystal Dance 28-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Glo
Hayneedle
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs Spring On The
Home Depot
Minnow Change-It-Up Wallet
$78.00 | Horchow
Alabster Rocks! 24-Inch 5000 Lumen LED Bowl Pendant with Large Square Point Fini
Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™