Repot now ?

gymnmore(z8, LA)November 13, 2012

I recently picked up a DR on sale, and the roots are starting to come out of the bottom of the pot. I willn't usually repot anything now, but I'm not sure if I should. Any suggestions? Thanks ~ Judy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltran54(9)

If you want, keep it on the dry side.
Very little water.
marie

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 1:51PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It's probably not a critical decision if you were to just sit tight for a while .... and are we really talking 'repot', or just 'potting up'? For a repot, I'd wait until May when the plant is starting to grow in earnest. Repotting now ensures a long and slow recovery, leaving the plant more susceptible to disease and insect predation for longer than necessary. Of course, you can pot up anytime, but the more water-retentive your soil is, the more you need to guard against over-potting.

If you think your plant would definitely gain from potting up now, why not do that - pot up into the next size pot using a soil similar to what it's in now, then do a full repot in May into a soil that holds little or no perched water.

Al

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 4:33PM
karyn1(7a)

Plenty of my adeniums have roots emerging from the drainage holes and I have no problems with them going dormant. I wait until spring to transplant. If the soil your plant is in is holding water I would transplant into a well draining mix but if the exposed roots are the only issue I'd wait until spring.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 6:22PM
gymnmore(z8, LA)

Thanks for the replies. I think it is going dormant, so I will wait till the spring. ~ Judy

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Few Sources In USA for Adenium....Why ???
Not only am I frustrated...but more than a little disgusted...
bronxfigs
Second Year!
There are 16 inches of snow-shoveling being procrastinated...
fakechuchi
Adenium Leaves Curled Under
A few of my adenium seedlings (4 mo.) new growth of...
bilabongbong
Rinoa Chen seeds
Hello, good afternoon! Has anyone bought seeds of Rinoa...
Relve
Lovely Blooms
This photo was taken today. Glad to share.
koi3300
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™