Do DRs need a plant light?

Moolz82November 23, 2012

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and so glad I found it! I've had a desert rose since July and it seems to be doing OK, but as i live in NYC and it's getting colder and less sunny, I'm starting to worry that it will need more warmth/light.

Would using a plant light for my DR be a good idea? I really have no idea, and I want to keep her thriving through the winter!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

They normally go dormant over the winter. Once dormant they don't need any light. If it's still growing and you want it to continue you'll need supplemental lighting but letting it go dormant won't hurt it and the growth will resume in the spring. Make sure you reduce the amount of water it's getting and if it goes dormant it will need very little water, if any.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 4:13PM
Moolz82

Terrific - thanks for the help! There are still about 6 leaves on it, but several have fallen off recently, so I wasn't sure if this was part of it becoming dormant, or if it was sick.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 4:16PM
Moolz82

Terrific - thanks for the help! There are still about 6 leaves on it, but several have fallen off recently, so I wasn't sure if this was part of it becoming dormant, or if it was sick.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Granite Grit Substitute
HelIo, I have done tons of reading on these forums...
flgrown1
February Blooms
Here are a few of my February blooms. Many others...
jjbadenium
Yellow DR
I know this is not an unusual one but it has brighten...
kitnor
Adenium almost 'two meters' height
I have this obesum since 2010, she was one of the first...
Relve
Unable to log in.
I am very dissapointed that I am not able to log in...
3300koi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™