Desert rose dormancy question.

slopfrogNovember 17, 2012

I have several desert roses in cactus potting mix in terra cotta pots on the north side of my house. I have not watered since the temperatures at night have dropped into the low sixties and highs are about 80. So maybe two weeks now.

The sun has dropped low enough in the past week or so to put the plants into shadow for quite a few hours each day. They still get 6 hours or so though. Since then, the leaves have turned yellow and falling off, like if the plant were rotting.

Are these plants partially deciduous or dormant in the winter? If so, maybe the house shadow falling on them all the sudden is to blame. If I just move them to the south facing backyard where they will get PLENTY of light, will they wake back up? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

These plants will go dormant in the winter. The foliage drops but the caudex and stems should remain firm. I'm in zone 7a and most of my DR's are now dormant. A couple are still blooming in the GH but even most of the plants I moved indoors are dormant. I water very little while dormant, if at all. Not sure if you have enough daylight hours to bring them out of dormancy or if they'll wait to wake up when the day lengthens in your zone. I begin watering again in the early spring and put them back outside the end of May.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
All Caudiciform Plants
I don't have an adenium yet, but I'm going shopping...
rainydaywoman_z8
Yellow DR
I know this is not an unusual one but it has brighten...
kitnor
Twins!
Two plants from the same seed! I didn't know that could...
Andrew
Bloom after rainy season
I am also from Malaysia and the adenium is in full...
Tony606505
Rinoa Chen seeds
Hello, good afternoon! Has anyone bought seeds of Rinoa...
Relve
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™