Desert rose and crown of thorns in Houston

crazyforallflowersNovember 11, 2012

Hi all I just moved to Houston from NYC! My mom lives in Trinidad and loves desert roses and COT. I finally have the weather to grow these they remind me of Home. Can anyone link me to local places around Houston to purchase them. Any advise about Houston weather. I would love any feedback! Thanks so much....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kodom087 z9a

Welcome to Houston. Marie can help you the most as she's got quite the collection. I recently saw some at Home Depot but they were not in bloom so no way to tell what color. Probably typical pink. Mine pink is still in bloom right now but it's almost done. I recently got a couple of nice ones from my sister. A double blood red with darker red edges and a triple rich red with black edges. I think the double is about to bloom as it's putting out buds but I have to pamper it with the temperature drops.

I leave mine outside on the porch unless the temps drop below about 45ish. Our weather is usually fairly warm by winter standards but sometimes we get a good hard freeze.

Kirk

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 9:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltran54(9)

Debbie, welcome to Houston. I will help you next spring since it is late into the year already. Houston has good weather for your COT and DR.
You can go crazy like me.....first you need a big backyard (which I don't have) and soon you can't stop buying like me.
Marie

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Second Year!
There are 16 inches of snow-shoveling being procrastinated...
fakechuchi
Few Sources In USA for Adenium....Why ???
Not only am I frustrated...but more than a little disgusted...
BronxFigs
trying to post a picture
How odd this new forum is, I have been away for a while....
katluvr
Twins!
Two plants from the same seed! I didn't know that could...
Andrew
The Great Soil Debate
Updated with best answers(7-22-14) So while there is...
jasonwipf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™