New Adenium question

macknkssNovember 19, 2012

Hello, I bought this little adenium off ebay that was delivered 10 days ago. I repotted into gritty mix immediately and it was looking pretty good considering it was in a UPS truck for a week. I watered for the first time a week after repotting and now, 3 days later, the leaves are turning brown. The bulb also feels a little squishy and soft.

I'm in Sacramento CA and the last couple weeks have been about half sunny and half cloudy. It's in a south facing window that gets a lot of light.

I know nothing about these plants other than what I've read off these forums. I have a feeling I should have left it in the cup it came in and waited to repot, but too late now!

Thanks!

Mack

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macknkss

In case you're wondering the adenium is about 5" tall. Looks much bigger in the pic I posted.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:48PM
rcharles_gw

I am no expert Mark. Looks like the leaves are yellowing/brown from the base of each branch?
I would keep it in low light until it is established in new pot.
I am told when they ship them that it causes a great amount of stress on them. They are usually shipped bare root with no soil and the leaves removed to lessen the stress on plant also for pest issues.
Your procedure of repotting sounds good and watering after 4-5 days from repotting is good.
Is the caudex pliably soft or mushy. Pliably soft is fine, but they usually firm up shortly after watering.
If it loses it's leaves and the caudex and branches remain green it should be fine. They usually go dormant in winter and shed leaves.
I believe that a lot of what is happening is due to transit.
Shipping this time of year is not considered a good idea as they will not survive with too many lower temps.
I am sure you will get more assistance.
Rick

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 11:27PM
ltran54(9)

Mack, as long as the caudex still firm you are okay. Sometimes the plant react after the move. But your little guy still okay.

Rick, you gave good advice.

Marie

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 6:16PM
macknkss

Thank's for the help and advice. I'm going to move it to a place where it only gets indirect light for now until it recovers.

The caudex is still somewhat pliable although a little soft. Thanks again Rick and Marie! I am learning a lot from you and these forums.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
February Update
Hey everyone, I was away for a while and clearly here...
Andrew
February Blooms
Here are a few of my February blooms. Many others...
jjbadenium
Few Sources In USA for Adenium....Why ???
Not only am I frustrated...but more than a little disgusted...
bronxfigs
I have a question for the Administrators of Houzz/Garden Web
How is it that we Search within a particular thread...
rcharles_gw
Adenium Leaves Curled Under
A few of my adenium seedlings (4 mo.) new growth of...
bilabongbong
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™