adenium changing colour

len76(Frazer Coast. Qld.)December 13, 2013

I have an interesting situation that I have never seen before. About 15 months ago I planted seeds from a double pink DR I have. On first flowering I marked the pot as to what colour the flower and from what plant the seeds came from. I got about 30% doubles ranging from white with a slight tinge of pink to a full red. The remainder were singles in the same colour range.
The singles I used to practice grafting.So far out of about 60 attempts I have failed to get one to take. As they failed I cut the back and allowed them to continue growing producing a squat plant, which I quite like. Now here is the strange part.
This plant has flowered for the second season and has changed from a pastel pink to a full red with a yellow centre.(see photo)
You can read my markings on the pot. DS for double seed, and pale pink for the colour of the first flowering.
We have just been through the hottest spring ever recorded and a lot of my plants are changing shade but none to this extent. Most just getting darker in shade but none completely changing colour. Any ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcharles_gw

I have heard people from the Australian Adenium group I frequent often speak of waiting for a second blooming on some for much the same reason you have experienced.
Beautiful flower and quite the size (flower).
Rick

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 7:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
len76(Frazer Coast. Qld.)

Hi Rick,I have noticed out of this crop several of the ones I put aside as singles have in the second flowering have thrown doubles, but not changing colour. Also some have both single and double flowerers.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Few Sources In USA for Adenium....Why ???
Not only am I frustrated...but more than a little disgusted...
BronxFigs
Twins!
Two plants from the same seed! I didn't know that could...
Andrew
A hearty hello to everyone!
Hello everyone and welcome to all the new comers in...
kodom087 z9a
Winter seedlings
In a heated plant box, 14 hours under T5HOs. Thanks,...
fakechuchi
Ordering from Mr.Ko
Has anyone tried ordering from Mr. Ko recently? I tried...
maark23 TX/8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™