Chantaspring

larry_b(Zone5/CO)March 10, 2005

Hi,

Here are the fruits of a leaf cutting from last fall. It is the first bloom of Chantaspring. I should probably wait until more blooms are on it, but I canÂt wait. Try not to notice the spent leave that needs to be taken off that I missed. Here is Chantaspring:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerSK(SK, Canada)

Larry, what an interesting plant. I love the purple veining on the leaves. What type of bloom is that?

Joan

Bookmark   March 10, 2005 at 9:10AM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Joan, Chantaspring is a mini trailer with bell flowers. I always kind of wanted one.

Leaf? What leaf? ;-) Pretty.

Korina

Bookmark   March 10, 2005 at 1:07PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

I agree Korina. I was only looking at the bloom. At least that is my defense.

Larry

Bookmark   March 10, 2005 at 3:51PM
stonesriver(6B Tennessee)

Korina:

Yours is still growing :-) It hasn't bloomed, yet, though. I'll also send you some leaves from two other micro-minis.

When the weather here doesn't go from the 20s one day to 50s the next, I'll ship....but that may be July! ;-)

Linda

Bookmark   March 10, 2005 at 4:18PM
lainielady(z5OH)

Larry,

Your Chantaspring sure looks happy, and it kind of reminds me spring is peaking around the corner. I was lucky enough to get one of these recently and I'm anxiously waiting for it to bloom.

Your plant looks likes it is growing quite well and likes its home. - Elaine

Bookmark   March 12, 2005 at 3:08PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Elaine,

Thank you. It does look a little bit like a spring flower doesn't it? I'm not sure how abundant the flowers will be. It is also really small. It may not be obvious but that is a 3-ounce Dixie cup it is in. I probably should have it in a smaller pot. It may flower more if its roots are more constricted. Anyway, when this one flower opened up I just thought it was adorable and had to take a picture.

Larry

Bookmark   March 12, 2005 at 5:26PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Oh! Thanks Linda! Cool!

Larry, what is that pretty fuschia bloom to the left?

Korina (nosey)

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 12:16PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Korina,

Don't worry about being nosey. I would love to show you what is next to Chantaspring. Here is sinningia mercury:

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 9:52PM
stonesriver(6B Tennessee)

Hi, Larry:
Why don't you post this one to the gesnariad forum? I have a friend who's cutting back and she's selling or giving away all her sinningias. :-(
Linda

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 10:46PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Thanks Larry. I should've recognized it -- it's very near the top of my most wanted list. ;-)

(besotted sigh)

Korina

Bookmark   March 17, 2005 at 1:14PM
brass_tacks(8b/GA)

Larry,
Just saw your Chantaspring...You said you planted it last fall? When last fall? Is that a very vigorous variety--or do you have a secret? Very inspiring!
Pat

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 9:49PM
Motezuma(z5 WV)

Larry, I've never wanted a sinningia till now. Darn you to the seven levels of plant hell! How many things can you people get me hooked on? Can I come live with you guys when my husband divorces me b/c I've taken over the whole house including bathrooms and closets?

Just kidding. It's beautiful! And so turns the pages of my want list...

-Mo (WV)

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 9:50PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Pat,

I started a leaf cutting from Chantaspring around October. I only got one baby from it. For me it has been pretty simple. I have wick watered it since bringing it out of its little terrarium. As with a lot of miniatures I know that they can be very unforgiving if they dry out too much. This little Chantaspring has never gone through a severe drought. Other than that I don't know what to say. I know that some people have a hard time with it. So far so good for me.

Mo, I am sorry that I have tempted you. But, let's put the blame where it is due. It's Korinas fault. I would never have put the picture up if she hadn't asked me. lol Just kidding, Korina. Personally, I think everyone who grows African violets should have at least one sinningia. I pretty much grow it the same as I do my African violets. It has been in wicking soil and I wick water it. I make sure that it dries out occasionally. And that's basically it.

Larry

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 7:23PM
razz(6 Washington)

oh someone sent this little one to me and I almost lost it. The little mouse ears are the size of a pin head. Sure hope it makes it. I did have it water wicked but it seemed tosta to wet and looked like it was rotting away. so nowI have it drying out a bit. Larry is there anything I can do to help this one along?
raz

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 11:40AM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hello Raz,

If your Chantaspring has mouse ears only the size of pinheads your friend separated the plant too early. I'm not sure if you will be able to save it but here is what I would do. You said that it is sopping wet? If you think it is too soggy then let it dry a little but then I would suggest putting it in a plastic bag for a while. Those leaves should be at least the size of eraser heads before taking it out of the bag. I think you have a chance of saving it but since I can't see it it is very hard for me to predict. Good luck.

Larry

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 7:32PM
LovesLife(7bPuget SoundWA)

Ooh, thank you for the picture! I have a Chantaspring that I started late last summer. It's doing well, but hasn't bloomed yet. I can't wait!

Bookmark   May 21, 2005 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Help! Limp brown stems of leaves
One of my new babies has been too wet and I read that...
frankielynnsie
Copied from the Seed Exchange, explains reason for new Houzz format
The story none of us were told. kchd(7b/8a MS)February...
fortyseven_gw
Beautiful Optimara Modesty blooming pictures - Oh, so beautiful!
O Modesty is so vigorous. It needed no extra care for...
jujujojo_gw
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
What is happening to my African Violet leaves?
The edges are getting pale and brown and drying up....
louder92
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™