Misbehavin' seedling

greenthumbgardenerJune 12, 2008

This is a seedling that I was out-voted on. My wife wouldn't let me throw it away.. I hate when she is around when I try to cull my seedlings. If she had her way, I wouldn't have any more room to continue my hobby. It is kind of growing on me, though, even if it will not behave and grow like I want it to.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

What an armful of blooms! Is it a trailer?

i.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 3:55PM
greenthumbgardener

Irina,
If I had to choose a classification for it,I think that's what I'd call it. One of the grandparent's was a semi-miniature that tended to trail, but that trait never showed up until this bugger came along. Of course, I only keep about One or two seedlings out of each batch, so maybe it showed up, and I threw out the seedling before it fully developed.
Bill

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 5:52PM
alenka(6)

Wow, that's the funnest plant I've seen in quite a while! I'm glad you kept it, looking at the picture made me smile!

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 10:05PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Bill -

The leaves look like trailer's to me. They are skinnier and softer than the single crown plant leaves. Looks like there is more than saintpaulia ionantha in a pedigree (who knows what is in our pedigree 10 generations back - and 30 generations back - we all are relatives ;-)).

And - why you kept only 1-2 seedlings? It should be really interesting to see more...

Thank you - it is really a cheerful guy to look at. May be pain in you know what to shape...

I cannot shape Candy Fountain - it always has a main crown and suckers to me, never 3 crowns. And if I top it - it dies.

Thanks again - really made a Friday go faster!

i.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 2:36PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

::blink:: Hunh.

And *why*, exactly, would you want to 'get rid of' (ie maim, murder, destroy) this gorgeous trailer? Granted, all the flowers on one - side? peduncle? is different... um, is that usual?

Gobsmacked,

Korina

PS And *why* exactly, do you throw away perfectly good, if uninteresting (to you), plants? New homes could include: schools for class projects, nursing facilities for lonely, bored residents, your local club for beginners to practice on...

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 5:29PM
greenthumbgardener

Korina,
I should have explained myself better as to how I cull my seedlings. I usually only keep about a dozen seedlings, because I also have many other plants . I give away all I can before I throw away the remainder. I also advertise on craigslist to give them away free for local pick up. One time, I gave over a hundred of them to my church, when my wife was helping to run a flea market there.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 8:26PM
gardenjunkie4life(Z7)

Do you have any seedlings that you would like to give away now? I am new to AV and would love to have anything you have extra of right now.
I could provide postage.
Thanks
Janet

Bookmark   January 3, 2009 at 7:32AM
More Discussions
Rob's Humpty Doo
Recently found out this is chimera. First Class didn't...
lilypad22
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
Red tint and leaves drooping
After moving my AV to a brighter window the leaves...
loveofbostons
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
Top Dollar And Tommie Lou
I read that Top Dollar was one of the original 10,...
lucky123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™