Is this a throwback?

krystyna1937January 31, 2008

I've had this Rococco since last summer. It had lovely tight double blooms which looked more like little roses than violets. In the fall I separated a big sucker from it. This left the parent plant with a longish neck so I cut off about half of the root ball and repotted the plant in fresh soil deep enough to cover the neck, as I had learned to do on various discussions on this Forum. A few weeks ago it began to bloom again but two of the flowers are as you see them, neither a proper single violet nor a double. It's as if it had forgotten how to make a double bloom.

What's going on here?

Krys

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Krys -

just time will tell if your plant is sporting - or it is a temporary reaction to the stress. If you want to preserve the true plant - take a leaf off that has a correct bloom coming from its "armpit" and root it.

Irina

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 9:55PM
m3rma1d(inside)

I can't say what's up with the plant, but just wanted to say it's quite lovely :-)

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 4:46PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

That's called a 'semidouble'; more than five petals, less than 10. It's probably a reaction to the stress of repotting and will disappear by the next bloom cycle. I wouldn't worry.

Korina

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
Another newbie question
If the Rob's Combustible Pigeon has 3 sports and another...
frankielynnsie
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
Silverglade's Pennies or Chariots
Does anyone have a leaf or clone of Silverglade's Pennies...
littleblackbat
little moon stone (images)
This AV plant is actually quite large. The flowers...
jujujojo_gw
Top Dollar And Tommie Lou
I read that Top Dollar was one of the original 10,...
lucky123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™