Advice for Newbies

LindaJanuary 21, 2013

In reading through this African Violet forum, I see lots of discouraged newbies. My advice: don't let one or two, (or three or more), unsuccessful attempts at growing discourage you. Anyone who has been growing violets for any length of time has lost more violets than they care to think about. I have been growing for over forty years, have a bachelor's degree in Horticulture and am a professional landscaper and I still lose plants. (I have a Psychedelic Show that I am currently tearing my hair out over). As you gain experience, you will grow better and better and lose less and less. Fortunately, african violets are inexpensive and easy to propagate. (I also grow orchids-expensive and difficult-to- impossible to propagate and an average of seven years from sowing to bloom. IF they decide to bloom).
Remember-plants, like people, are individuals, even different plants of the same variety. Some are easy, some are difficult, some thrive, some die and some just sit there and defy you. It's all part of the adventure.
Hope this helps!

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Linda, thank you for the encouraging words!

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 10:02AM
fortyseven_gw

HI Linda, Did your Psychedelic Show ever improve for you since this posting? (I have not had success with chimeras.)
So instead, I have been trying out two-colors that are not chimeras.
I have Psychedelic Rose, a bi-color double, mid-tone violet alternating with a peachy pink. It looks good in its first blooming, although every blossom is different. Large,
showy blooms. Some are mostly purple, others, half
and half. The color is very rich, I like it better than
fantasies of similar colors because of the larger patches
of color. I got it from LLG.
Joanne

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 3:01AM
philpet

Linda, very incouraging words. Nicely said, it shows no matter how long or short we have being growing violets ALL of us have our bad days. I also realize most of us here grow orchids too myself included :). But persistance is key and if orchids teach anything its patience so its just a win some ,loose some situation. Thanks again VELLETA

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 6:55AM
bragu_DSM 5

bump bump

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:09AM
Linda

And bump some more.

And Psychedelic Show is still hanging in there.

Linda

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
Nice vendor
Today I received an order from Fancy Bloomers in NJ. She,Donna,...
fortyseven_gw
Photographing AV's Question
This AV is a very dark shade of purple in real life...
lucky123
sooo, what's new?
Got new plants? Trying something different? What's...
froeschli
learning the NEW way
Just trying to find out how to post. Pembroke
pembroke
Mini Violets!
Here's some baby miniatures that I absolutely love....
suyoder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™