Novice to African Violets

jck3010January 10, 2013

My daughter bought me these African Violets in a Christmas reindeer and they were beautiful, unfortunately since then they have suffered and I'm not sure where to go from here.

I watered them regularly to find out they don't need as much as they were getting so they have been drying out for the last week now, I have also removed the dead flowers by pinching the stems and removed some new elongated leaves to try and root them and repot them later if this one dies. I was wondering what else I could do to help my violet to get healthier.

I did read that long leaves weren't good as this meant lack of sunlight so I have put the plant by my back doors to get extra light through the day, although its been a bit gloomy the last week, if anyone has any ideas I'd really like to hear from you, thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jck3010

Image of African Violets

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 8:17AM
bspofford

Sorry, but this isnt an African violet. It looks more like a primrose.

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 12:55PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

I agree with Barbara - it is a Primrose - basically an outside plant that normally blooms early spring and likes humid semi-shaded location. It was "forced" to bloom early - just like they force tulips and daffodils and Easter lilies to bloom in pots out of season. If you find a place in a yard to stick it in - it will be struggling - but if it will survive - it will bloom in a spring of 2014. Otherwise - say thanks to it - and toss it. It won't survive at home.

Irina

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 1:56PM
bunnycat(z6 NY)

They will continue to bloom if you keep them in a very cool but sunny window. Very important.. keep picking off the fading flowers. Keep damp but not soggy.
As soon as the window warms up, for me in NYS, sometime in late March, the leaves wilt in the sun and it's time to set it in a cooler place. You can set it outside in a sheltered spot if it's not too cold.
If they like the spot that you choose (under a forsythia looks nice, bloom the same time)they will bloom for many years. Key is some early spring sun, but no scorching summer sun, and not being allowed to dry out.

Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 10:04AM
jck3010

Thank you for all your help, I will try them outside and see how they get on, they looked so pretty when in bloom, it seems a shame to kill it and with little gardening experience I do tend to do that, thanks again

Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
Rob's Humpty Doo
Recently found out this is chimera. First Class didn't...
lilypad22
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™