solo cups

Michi_Harper(7)January 12, 2011

Can someone please tell me if solo cups are allowed for showing plants? My first show is in march and all of my minis and semis are growing in little plastic cups. Do I need to put them into pots instead?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Michi -

you better ask a judge from your club. I actually saw people showing their minis in solo cups, but not on the National. There are 2 1/4 (?) size pots very close to 3oz solo cup - so you can just slip your plant into one of these without disturbing the roots. Be sure that you get the set of 2 of appropriate size pots for each plant because on the show - you put a small piece of plastic or foil in the bottom of the empty pot - and slip it on the original pot - so your wick is not touching the table cloth. And you better have both pots the same - not one brown - another one green. Second issue - if minis are more or less minis - semis can grow to the limit of 8" or more. Remove the outer leaves if they grow farther than permitted - and you need to keep the pot 1/3 of the leaf span - so the smallish Solo cup can be too small. (I mean we call them Solo cups - but I saw smaller and larger ones)

I wish you a good crop of Blue Ribbons in March

I.

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 12:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jude_2008

Solo cups are OK at National and other shows I've attended. Most shows now require slip- potting and the solo cups make it easy. Just slip the one with holes cut in the bottom into a new holeless cup.
Jude

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Does anyone recognize this AV?
I was given a leaf last summer, identified as Optimara...
sueok_gw
Miniature african violet drooping badly
I recently bought a miniature african violet at a violet...
bluedahlia5
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Silverglade's Pennies or Chariots
Does anyone have a leaf or clone of Silverglade's Pennies...
littleblackbat
Mini Wick Pot Solution Found!
My hubby actually came up with this one -- he's like...
oriole6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™