Computer microscope

bspoffordJanuary 29, 2008

On another thread, itsdeb posted a video she shot using a computer microscope. I googled that, and feel like I've just discovered a new world! Yeah, I know, kicking and screaming right into the new millenium.....

So, I see price ranges from about $150 buck to thousands. For scoping out pests, I don't think I would need thousands, but am sure interested in acquiring one. What a neat deal!

Itsdeb and others with any experience with these, please educate the rest of us!

Barbara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

I first saw this on another forum and I think if you can afford it, it is really something to have.

Pictures, or movies taken of these bugs will help us all as to how they look and move. I am able to see mite (when I have them) with a 30X jeweler's loupe but with the microscope you see much better and see movement much better.

Nancy

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 12:24PM
itsdeb(6a)

Do a search on Google for USB microsocpe. Mine is a QX5 and costs around $100. It plugs into a USB port on the computer and displays what it sees on the monitor. It has a built in camera and can take still shots or movies. I can't tell you how impressed I have been with this thing. It comes with very easy to use software. I installed it and was looking at mites within about 30 minutes. It has two magnifications, 60X and 200X. The movies I posted were filmed at 60 magnification. If you will look in my PhotoBucket folders, you'll find one where I also filmed a springtail. Talk about ugly!

ItsDeb

Here is a link that might be useful: Springtail

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 2:30PM
bspofford

Thanks, ladies, I will pursue this in a bit.

I have an old microscope without any objectives, and this is certainly the way to go, with the photo capability, rather than trying to resurrect it.

What will they think of next?

Barbara

Barbara

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
Miniature african violet drooping badly
I recently bought a miniature african violet at a violet...
bluedahlia5
Red tint and leaves drooping
After moving my AV to a brighter window the leaves...
loveofbostons
Top Dollar And Tommie Lou
I read that Top Dollar was one of the original 10,...
lucky123
Fluorescent Lighting Questions
Hi Guys.... so i have not been super happy with my...
kaityinoregon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™