Moving Peggy Martin

jaymo49June 13, 2014

I need to move my Peggy Martin Rose which is blooming all along my 6 foot tall fence. My problem is that it has 2 bare canes for the first 4 feet. No growth at the bottom at all. How far back should I cut it when I move it? I am putting it on an 8 x 8 foot lattice trellis, so it would be nice if it started some growth lower down, but it's okay if it grows on the new trellis as it is now. Should I cut it to 1 or 2 feet, leaving just bare canes, or should I cut it at about 5 feet, leaving one foot of leafy growth at the top? Or should I do one cane low, one high? I am taking some cuttings in case I kill it.... advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

If it was mine I would cut it down to about 2 feet. Then keep it watered, and do not feed it or spray it until it starts putting out new growth, which could take several weeks. If it is very sunny, give it some shade with shade cloth or something. Good Luck!

Jackie

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 2:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hartwood

I moved my Peggy Martin a few years ago. It was about 6' tall with about half a dozen canes. Didn't cut it back at all ... gathered the canes up and tied them with bungie cords so it was easier to get to the base to dig it up. I got a decent sized rootball, which fell apart as soon as I got it out of the hole. Got frustrated and dragged the rose to the new hole, planted it, watered it, and walked away. Kept it watered, when it didn't rain to do the job for me. Only one of the canes died ... the others wilted a bit but recovered.

The moral of this story is .... I tend to cut back roses that I'm moving only because it's safer to work with smaller thorny roses. Peggy is thornless so this wasn't a consideration. I prefer to let the rose decide if I've left enough roots to support the amount of top growth. Any canes that wilt and get crispy are obviously unsupported by roots below are removed. Haven't yet lost a rose by doing it this way.

One word of caution: Peggy will probably grow back in the original location from root suckers. This is why I now have TWO Peggy Martin roses.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
No Rugosa/Alba/Bourbon/Cent/HPs Ever in SoCal?
Hi all, As the subject line shows, I'm as usual craving...
Sylvia Weiser Wendel
Would you share your garden with a stranger?
A woman on another forum whose house has a separate...
mariannese
Please help me identify this rose?
This rose blooms only once a year in the spring. My...
linjon zone 5
giving up
most of my clippings and practically all of my past...
Campanula UK Z8
Old estate climber needs ID
This is a climbing rose that clambers to 15 feet over...
dkelch
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™