Good Choice for Terrariums?

botanical_drifterJanuary 16, 2011

New to African Violets. Do they make good specimens for terrarium's??

I am a fan of blue and was hoping to find one or two to start off with in a small terrarium.

Thanks for your help....

botanical_drifter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snappyguy

I have heard of people using african violets in terrariums before. There are a couple things to keep in mind when using them. First, be very careful with watering. Too much water will rot the roots. Second, don't let leaves touch moist soil for a long period of time. These will rot as well. Typically, violets described as blue have a touch of red in them giving them a somewhat purple appearance. All this being said, there's no reason a violet can't be grown in a terrarium, and with many thousand varieties to choose from, there's sure to be one you'll really like. I've included a link to the African Violet Society of America photo page. Just click on a letter and then submit to see different hybrids beginning with that letter.

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA violet photos

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 7:14PM
Okie_Deb(6 OK. zip 737)

The micro mini's grow fantastic in terrariums. I have several "Fruit Fly", "Teeny Bopper" and "Hot Pink Bells" growing this way.
Key is the soil mix needs a fair amount of perlite in it,,,so porous,,,and the soil should be damp and not soggy wet.
I've also found the double dip sundae containers with a lid work great to root leaves in as well as to grow a micro plant.,,,Debbie

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 8:56PM
thominindy(6)

Rob's Twinkle Blue and Rob's Vodoo Blue are great micro minis for the terrariums. They can be delicate however. Tiny Moon Goddess is one of my fav's. It is blue also.

Best of luck to You. You may need it.

Thom

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
Nice vendor
Today I received an order from Fancy Bloomers in NJ. She,Donna,...
fortyseven_gw
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Rob's Humpty Doo
Recently found out this is chimera. First Class didn't...
lilypad22
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™