Irina--Linda -testing out a theory ...

fortyseven_gwJanuary 1, 2014

Hi
In reading older threads,
LLG hybrids seem to be vigorous, second to Optimaras. Just wondering if that is your experience.

The Russians are very strong, also. (However, they tend not to have symmetrical growing habits.)
Just wondering if that is an accurate observation.
Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 1:45

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda

Joanne,

Interesting theory. I have not really noticed my LLG's being hardier. The only thing that I have noticed is that Ma's hybrids do not grow as stronger as my other plants which is what Irina also said about her experience with them.

From what I have read, the Russians were, and are, bred only for their flowers, not their foliage unlike others that are bred for both. This may explain why they sometimes look like they have been doing battle with themselves! Maybe Irina knows more about this. Irina...???

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 1:33AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

You correct -the Russian AVs were never bred for symmetry. Even now the way how they judge their plants shows that the preference is given to plants with abundant and spectacular blooms. New Russian varieties bred with both American and Russian plants in their breeding programs seem to have improved foliage.

You can grow lots of LLG plants to be less leggy if you use 4 lights. I actually think that the best plants are already there - if you look at the plants that were bred in 60-80s - hybridizers of these times - Irene Fredette, Jesse Munk, Don Ness, Winston Smith, Max Maas, miniatures from Hortense Pittman - they are proved winners. I think we should all try to grow best vintage plants to have a golden standard to know how to evaluate the new ones.

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 3:30AM
fortyseven_gw

Wonderful advice and tips! Thanks! Joanne

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
miniature and varigated african violets
Where can I buy miniature and variegated African violets...
miriamb60
Another newbie question
If the Rob's Combustible Pigeon has 3 sports and another...
frankielynnsie
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™