growing african violets care

hollysoasis(NJzone 6/7)January 27, 2014

I want to grow african violets like my grandmother did. I have the perfect place, in front of the window over the heat registers, on a long table. I purchased, a few at home depot and also bought african violet soil and a very light potting mix. All I remember about their care was, not to wet the leaves and she always added a drop of dish soap to the water, Can someone recomend a website for the care and planting of african violets?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
froeschli

1. Here. (Check the FAQ and use the search tool for specific topics)
2. Rachel's Reflections
3. Your favourite search engine
4. Your local library

And if you are a social kind of person, visit the next meeting of your local African violet society.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachel's reflections

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 8:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

People before made their own soil instead of using the HD bagged one. I am not promoting using backyard loam, cow manure, sand and all other secret components of this old day soil - but it was much better for the plants then the stuff from HD. So - do not use it straight - add 1/3 of perlite. This soil is preloaded with fertilizer- so do not use any fertilizer for 2 months. It has the wetting agent already in a mix - so do not add dish soap - otherwise your soil will be way too wet.
Do not buy these heavy double ceramic pots - they are tricky. The regular plastic pots are better - and you can use mugs, cashepots to cover your plastic pots.

You can wet your plants - you can even bath your plants under lukewarm water and leach the soil - but you need to let them dry and blot most of the water with paper towel - before returning back to the window. otherwise the leaves go spotted - that's what your Grandmother prevented by not wetting the leaves - ugly spots.

After couple of month your AVs will utilize all the fertilizer - you need to get some for your plants - otherwise they won't bloom.

The main cause of AV death - is overwatering or inconsistent watering. Drought to drown is fatal. So - make sure that they never sit in the water in their saucers - splash the leftovers out 10-20 min after watering - and make sure that you know when to water them - lift them up - and if the pot is light - it is time. After some time - you will figure ot how often - may be every five days in summer - and 7 days in winter.

Just as Mz F said - read the books, work through the website - find the club or people who grow well in your town.

And in no time - it is not a rocket science - you will be growing AVs - your Grandmother would be proud to have.

Good Luck
irina

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
Trailing AV leaf problem
I've had this AV for about 1.5 year now and it was...
k3ping
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
Nice vendor
Today I received an order from Fancy Bloomers in NJ. She,Donna,...
fortyseven_gw
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™