Picture of AVs

cowgurl160(4 SD)January 7, 2013

I just wanted to share a picture of my AVs. Unfortunately nothing is blooming, I think my apt is too cold or they aren't getting enough light. I get several buds but nothing blooms. I know the front one is WAY over potted, this spring I'm going to look for a smaller pot. But that plant is my survivor, I've brought it back from the brink of death twice. And instead of using the self watering pots as they are intended I want to repot the 2 in those pots in plastic draining pots and then just set them in the outer pot. And I realize the middle plant is over potted too. That plant is the first survivor that I took off of another plant. Most of the other ones I tried at the same time all died. I am currently trying to start 2 suckers and 1 leaf. Hopefully I can make those work because I would like to order some variegated varieties this spring/summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

I think you are correct - not enough light and probably not warm enough. Can you put some light fixture above your plants?

Your Avs are not happy customers right now - and variegated plants are less viable than green leaved ones. Probably you need to upgrade your growing area a bit before spending money on variegated ones - when the green ones struggle - these guys die.

Plus - you need blooming AVs in winter much more than in summer. Keeps the spirits up!

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: light for the small area.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 12:33PM
aegis1000

It looks like you have a nice collection there, and that you know how to grow AVâÂÂs.

For your plants to do as well as possible, however, you will need to provide adequate
light (for blooming and plant health).

You can provide artificial lighting for your violet collection using the new fluorescent
CFL (spiral) bulbs in any typical house lamp where the violets are not more than a foot
or so from the light.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 12:40PM
winnatay(4)

What size of CFL bulb would a person need. I just bought two african violets from a florist and they look like they didn't provide enough light. My lamp that I intend on using is a short lamp. The base of the light bulb to the stand is about 14".
Thank you

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 8:38PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Winnatay-

I do not think you can have lots of options - whatever CFL is more than 100wt equivalent (27-30wt actual consumption) - they are quite large and your plants won't fit. So- get the one I mentioned. It is a bit on a low side - so if your growing area will get at least some natural light from the window or skylight - it will be OK.

Good Luck

Irina

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 12:17PM
winnatay(4)

Irina,
Thank you for replying. I will see about that CLF bulb. I will take a picture of my violets to show them and maybe get some answers to my other questions.

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 3:03PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

W. - just start a new thread.

I.

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 1:06PM
ChaseMercer

This is one of my favorite African Violet photos. The purple is so deep in color and the contrast of the light and shadows makes the rich leave texture very apparent.

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 4:03PM
rachels_haven(6)

That is why I started growing them.

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 4:46PM
winnatay(4)

Absolutely beautiful.

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
African Violets/Yellow
Can someone please suggest a good and easy yellow or...
Marigold33
Worm castings
Has anyone actually used these? A year or more ago,...
fortyseven_gw
African Violets -New to this, need ideas on plants selections!
I recently placed a few orders with PJ's Violets. I...
Marigold33
Propagate and Sell Registered AVs?
I am getting into propagating and growing AVs and was...
mojosavage
Thanks for helpful hints
Just a note to let you all know that while researching...
michellervt
Sponsored Products
Lamp International | Goccia Wall Bracket Li2028
$965.25 | YLighting
Adesso Lamps Brookfield 71 in. Satin Nickel Floor Lamp 1512-22
$86.99 | Home Depot
All You Need Wood Photo Frame
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Novel Skeleton Old Ship Wood Wall Sconce
ParrotUncle
Charlotte Peacock Feather Glass Bowl - MULTI COLORS
$4,500.00 | Horchow