Help with ID of wild rose

tuderte(USDA 9a equiv.)June 9, 2014

Suddenly, this rose is in flower everywhere I look - along all the roads in my area - it's growing up through oak trees, through hedgerows etc.

The really strange thing is that I don't recall seeing it in flower this time last year, and I certainly would have noticed, however, our local 'comune' does indulge in nocturnal 'weed spraying' from time to time and I remember that they did so in Spring last year - perhaps that's why I don't remember it flowering?

Anyhow, I think it's wonderful but have no idea what it is. All the dog roses in my hedgerow finished flowering weeks ago so I'm sure it's not a dog rose - also it's more of a rambler - it's probably 20 feet up the oak tree on the side of the road near my mailbox.

Can anyone help with an ID?

Cheers
Tricia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
labrea_gw

Multiflora?

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:49AM
labrea_gw

Multiflora?

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:51AM
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev

How big are the flowers, and what kind of scent do they have?

Looks kind of like Rosa laevigata, the Cherokee Rose, but I don't know if that is likely in your area (Italy?).

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: R. laevigata on HMF

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 3:42PM
tuderte(USDA 9a equiv.)

Many thanks for your responses labrea and Tessiess - I think you're right labrea, it must be multiflora, I thought that I'd posted a photo of a single flower as well as the photo that appeared in my original post.

The petals seem to me to be almost 'heart-shaped' but, in all other respects, it corresponds to the description in Wikipedia and Help Me Find. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the perfume because the pollen around here at the moment is so bad that my hay fever means I can't smell anything :-(

I'd often wondered what the rose the Americans refer to as 'Seven Sisters' looked like but now, it seems, I know!

Cheers
Tricia

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 6:06PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

It looks a lot more like pictures of R. laevegata than any R. multiflora I'm familiar with.

The acid test is that R. multiflora has very distinctive fringed stipules. They look like eyelashes. If they have that, then the roses are either multiflora or some kind of multiflora hybrid. If they don't, they are something else.

Multiflora usually blooms in enormous panicles of 20 or so flowers. It also blooms early-midseason. If the dogroses have come and gone, you are looking at something that blooms relatively late.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
New name: MelissaaiPapa
Well, I have now made the acquaintance of Houzz, and...
Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
Small blooms on Marie van Houtte
I'm in Houston and we've had a very wet spring, lots...
humble5
For the rose breeders among us
I am working on a second pass weeding of my garden...
Rosefolly
Potted Rose - Rose Storage Question
Hello, We are the process of a temporary and then permanent...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
Drought Experimet; reqst cold zones for Grndma's Ht, Rgged Robin, etc
Hi, I'm a landscape designer in southern California...
raingreen
Sponsored Products
Joy Carpets Wild America Kids Area Rug - 1499-C
$239.99 | Hayneedle
Shelton Oushak Rug 9' x 12' - CREAM/SAGE
$5,199.00 | Horchow
Melrose 1-light Blush Flushmount Light
Overstock.com
'Mom is Wow' Latte Mug
$8.99 | zulily
Contour Folding Wedge - 30-92407-DS-947
$39.99 | Hayneedle