drooping stems and leaves

rhondas(Zone 6- WA)January 4, 2006

I left my 2 AV at school during the Christmas vacation. I believe the heat was on as usual and I watered them very well before I left. Upon return, they have the lower half of the plants with wilted leaves and stems. I thought it was that they had dried out, but I have left them without water for longer periods of time before.......and after watering them and waiting 2 days, they still are droopy. What should I do? Cut off the stems? Then I will have a VERY long neck on the plants. I have never tried cutting off the root ball and stripping the neck.............it sounds SO harsh. Help...........I love these plants as they usually bloom and bloom and bloom! Thanks...........Rhonda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Rhonda, you likely have root rot. If so, you have no choice but to jump in and do it. Check Rachel's site for clear instructions and pictures to walk you through it. It's really not that bad. Just make sure when you cut the rootball off, to trim the neck to healthy tissue.

Good luck.

Korina

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachel's long neck

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 12:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mzinwa

Rhonda:
Korina is right...you just have to push up your sleeves and cut the neck! Believe me, it will hurt you more than it will your plant. I put it off until I had one violet with a 1 1/2 inch neck - it looked hideous. But I went to Rachel's site, and followed her directions step by step. After the operation, I put a baggie over my violet, and within a few weeks I could see little roots growing out of the stem. It was a succes for me and now I wonder why I waited so long!

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
boron deficiency?
i have heard this term thrown around some recently...
suyoder
Fluorescent Lighting Questions
Hi Guys.... so i have not been super happy with my...
kaityinoregon
First blooms
My Fair Lady. Isn't she grand? :)
sueok_gw
Never had an AV before - newbie question!
I've been gifted an african violet this afternoon (no...
TrilliumFae
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™